Quadrafire Heat Exchanger Odor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clunk

Jun 24, 2008
Eastern Ma
I'm suddenly getting a slight smoky odor coming from the right heat exchanger tubes on my Quad CB1200i. No odor from the left side? Any ideas as to the problem?

How old is it? Any rust evident? I take it the i on the end of 1200i means an insert so maybe your chimney has been leaking all summer onto the stove and rusted out the tubes. Better make SURE you have a CO detector in the room!!! Ask me how I know about leaky chimneys......... Luckily mine didn't leak on my stove. CrownCoat or CrownSeal is the best.

The stove is only 1-1/2 years old. I don't think it's a rust issue. It's been working fine; this just started last night. It's just a very slight smell of burning pellets only coming from the right side.

I'm not familiar with the 1200 but is it possible when you were filling it that some dust got down the tubes? I don't see how it could happen on my stoves but maybe it could on yours. Or you have a small leak in the exhaust, which is on the right side (on my stoves) and the circulator is sucking that exhaust up. That would NOT be good. Do you have a CO detector?

clunk said:
I'm suddenly getting a slight smoky odor coming from the right heat exchanger tubes on my Quad CB1200i. No odor from the left side? Any ideas as to the problem?
Try tightening down the bolts on either side of the burn pot.
I have a castile and found out that was causing a problem for me.

tjnamtiw said:
I'm not familiar with the 1200 but is it possible when you were filling it that some dust got down the tubes? I don't see how it could happen on my stoves but maybe it could on yours. Or you have a small leak in the exhaust, which is on the right side (on my stoves) and the circulator is sucking that exhaust up. That would NOT be good. Do you have a CO detector?

I don't think it's an exhaust leak; at least I can't see one and can't smell on where the exhaust is. It's possible that something go into the tubes but it didn't start happening until it was on for awhile. I turned it off and cleaned it and still have the smell when I turned it back on. Oh and yes, I have a CO detector.

firewarrior820 said:
clunk said:
Try tightening down the bolts on either side of the burn pot.
I have a castile and found out that was causing a problem for me.

I'll try that, thanks.

When filling my 1200I sometimes a pellet can make it's way on the outside of one of the tubes. Pull the plates and make sure one is not slowly burning off. They seem to get down there by the cleaning rods which as you know is right where you fill.

I attached a piece of half-inch vinyl tubing about 4 ft. long to the end of my shop-vac and ran it down each of the head exchanger tubes. I'm not sure if anything came out but I cranked the stove back up and the smell is still there but seems to be less as it is running now. I guess I'll let it run for a little while and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.