Quadrafire Insert stored for 6 years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayo

Mar 25, 2014
CT
Hi,

Just spoke to someone who is selling an 8 year old Quadrafire Insert. He told me he only used it for the first 2 years then moved and stored it in his barn for 6 years. What problem should I be looking out for with a pellet stove stored for that long of time?

Thanks

Mice nests,chewed wires,rust in firebox/exhaust passages esp. if ashes left in it.May need new controller as some eletronics(caps) do not like extreme temps.

Bob pretty well nailed it. Expect or plan to replace the bearings on the combustion and convection blowers. It's a common bearing and, hopefully, not too hard to get things loose. (plenty of PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench). You might need a vacuum switch too. I don't know how fragile the internals are on them.
If you're handy and can read a simple electrical schematic and troubleshoot, it would be a big plus on the project. If not, forget it.

I would think rust. Barns can be damp

Status
Not open for further replies.