quadrafire insert warped???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIdayz

Oct 19, 2016
new york
hopefully I posted this one in the right spot.

hey guys quick question my friend gave me his old wood stove because he was moving. looks like he took good care of it he said he never over heated it. it's a Quadra fire 4100i insert. I was cleaning it up and noticed the top of the stove under the sheet metal that surrounds it appears to look like it's bubbled outwards like it's not perfectly flat I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this stove if it's normal or what I can't find anything online. none of the welds are cracked or anything like that I just thought it would be odd it's shaped like that. thanks for any input thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally it would be flat. Is the paint still black on top or light greyish?

I just don't wanna install something that's not safe to use... I had stoves in the past just never saw one that looked like that thanks again for the reply

it looked light grayish and peeling a little
That's a sign of overfiring. It's a good stove and pretty tough, but very high heat can cause things to warp. Whether it's safe to use or not can be hard to tell over the internet. It may be all right if there are no cracks and nothing has opened up or failed. The stove needs a good close inspection to determine this.

I have a 4300 act. The back center of mine was all cracked and broken from the previous owner. They have a repair kit for mine, but I just welded a piece of plate steel on top of it and drilled holes. Any cracks in that manifold will cause the secondaries to be less regulated. It could lower the burn time.

ok guys thanks for the input...it's weird it's like bubbled out directly in the middle.....so perfect that it almost looks like it's supposed to be like that....I'll try to post a few pics if that will help....thanks for the help I appreciate it

Examine the centers of the front two secondary tubes. Look for cracking that would admit more air in that location.

ok... thanks and I ripped the old fire board out and blanket I have a new one on order...thanks I'll check those secondary burn tunes

ok guys thanks for the input...it's weird it's like bubbled out directly in the middle.....so perfect that it almost looks like it's supposed to be like that....I'll try to post a few pics if that will help....thanks for the help I appreciate it
I have seen it before. Infact I rebuilt the inside of one for my sister. It tells me the stove was overfired regularly. But as long as there are no cracks and you burn correctly it should still work fine.

ok thanks....Yeah the tunes look fine I'm gonna use it.....I'll make sure I keep an eye on it after the new fire board comes I'll start with a small burn and make sure I can control the fire with the damper knobs and check for and air leaks around glass and what not....thanks everyone.

ok thanks....Yeah the tunes look fine I'm gonna use it.....I'll make sure I keep an eye on it after the new fire board comes I'll start with a small burn and make sure I can control the fire with the damper knobs and check for and air leaks around glass and what not....thanks everyone.
Also make sure you check for cracks in the manifold. Quads has a big problem with that and if the stove has been overfired the chances of having those cracks are pretty high

Status
Not open for further replies.