Quadrafire is made in CHINA !!!!!! WTF ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cncpro

Jun 29, 2008
NE Connecticut, USA
I am absolutely thrilled that my dealer was able to supply my stove 3 weeks earlier than originally promised and I know there are many stove buyers that would like to purchase a pellet stove but will instead go without for this year so I don't want to sound too ungrateful BUT.....

When we were first considering Quadrafire we asked the salesman if it was made in USA and he said yes. Today I go to pick it up and it's got "Made in China" all over it.

It makes me want to 36_20_7.gif. I never would have bought this if I had known it was coming from China. :mad: >:-( :-S

Does anybody know when they moved all those American jobs to China ? Or were they ever made here ?

cncpro said:
I am absolutely thrilled that my dealer was able to supply my stove 3 weeks earlier than originally promised and I know there are many stove buyers that would like to purchase a pellet stove but will instead go without for this year so I don't want to sound too ungrateful BUT.....

When we were first considering Quadrafire we asked the salesman if it was made in USA and he said yes. Today I go to pick it up and it's got "Made in China" all over it.

It makes me want to throw up. I never would have bought this if I had known it was coming from China. :mad: >:-( :-S

Does anybody know when they moved all those American jobs to China ? Or were they ever made here ?

Hahahah!!!..Really?...hmm, if that correct and they bought Harman...well, oh boy :-(

:ahhh:

I know that the Classic Bay and the Santa Fe are made in China so I have just assumed that all of their pellet stoves are made there.

They say it in very small print in the user manuals.

All over the outside of the huge box containing the actual stove.

I also picked up 2 other boxes containing a "grill" and a "door". These smaller boxes do not say a country of origin on the outside or anywhere on the inside either. I wasn't going to open them today but curiousity got the best of me...

Can you return it? You could still get a nice American made Woodstove! Pellet stove . . . I don't know . . . but I'm sure some of the old hands around here do.
Respect your outrage.

Hell tell somebody in Maine that you have a new pellet stove for sale and they will turn over heaven and earth to get there and buy it.

Include in the ad "Made by the owners of Harman Stove Company" and they will tear down your house to get to it.

Better stop flying, cause Boeing is having a lot of the jet parts made in China.....

Quad makes castings in Europe and in Asia...and maybe even in the USA. They also make a lot of stoves (wood) in Wash state as well as share a lot of parts production from their factories (USA and Mexico, I think...maybe Canada too).....

Honestly...at this point I would not consider an iphone or iMac, Macbook Pro, etc. cheap because they are made in China....nor a Boeing jet. Time to get used to it Folks...it's a big world out there!

A FEW of the Quad pellet units are assembled in China. They started doing this right after / during the huge panic 3 years ago. HNI has its own "Asia" division and when there was this big china scare with the lead paint and all, HHT released a statement saying all their product was strictly controlled, etc, etc....

I'm not thrilled to say they do have some of the units made in China but those are the facts. We have installed quite a few units that probably were assembled in China and I have not seen or heard of any quality problems.

They did not "move" jobs to China, they increased their capacity by outsourcing some of the assembly. If they had not done this they could possibly be in the same boat as Harman right now (way behind in orders).

Just FYI probably most of the electrical components in every fireplace sold in the USA come from China. Disheartening but true.

Breckwells are made in TX and/or OR.

Long live the Big E.

Eric

Well if they are made in China then HHT will rolling in money, they work cheap in China. I guess I am waiting for the boat to come in LOL.

You wouldl be hard pressed to find anything that does not have some part of it coming from China....Global Market baby!....Just the way it is.

Can you return it? You could still get a nice American made Woodstove!

Actually, no... Pretty tough policy at this store. I think I'll try another store next time around.

I thought of selling it to somebody else but really, how much difference will it make... I am pretty sure that every pellet stove that can be made worldwide will sell this year so by selling it to somebody else I am not even going to affect the bottom line anyway. I just wish the salesman would have told the truth when we asked. My wife spoke with him this morning and he gave her some BS line that "they're only assembled in China... All the parts come from here..." YEAH RIGHT ! They're paying American workers to make the parts, then ship them to China, assemble, and ship back to the US ? I seriously doubt it. He didn't even apologize for the mistake !

Well if they are made in China then HHT will rolling in money, they work cheap in China. I guess I am waiting for the boat to come in LOL.

Yes that is true to some extent but... From what I hear the Chinese are demanding better pay and benefits. Also with the cost of fuel they are burning up lots of profits in shipping expenses. Maybe if we can hang in there for a decade or so things can improve for the American worker a bit...

Thanks for all the replies !

If it bothers you, then take the stove back and make it clear you wanted a US made product and were lied to. Don't deal with the sales guy, deal with the owner or store manager. They should have no problem selling it. If they won't then tell them you will be filing a complaint with the BBB, as well as contacting Quad about the false claims.

And yes the salesman lied again saying that the parts are made in the USA, shipped to China, assembled, then shipped back to the USA. You'd lose money doing that, not to mention the shipping time (2, 2-1/2 weeks each way). Sounds like a shady place to do business.

Actually a lot of the components are sourced from all over the place. Some might come from the USA. I don't think they bend up every piece of steel here though and ship it over. I do know that a lot of stuff gets sent there, just have it assembled and then it is shipped right back. A lot of the electrical stuff is made in China already so it doesn't have to go anywhere.

R&D;Guy said:
If it bothers you, then take the stove back and make it clear you wanted a US made product and were lied to. Don't deal with the sales guy, deal with the owner or store manager. They should have no problem selling it. If they won't then tell them you will be filing a complaint with the BBB, as well as contacting Quad about the false claims.

And yes the salesman lied again saying that the parts are made in the USA, shipped to China, assembled, then shipped back to the USA. You'd lose money doing that, not to mention the shipping time (2, 2-1/2 weeks each way). Sounds like a shady place to do business.

Yeah, I know I could go that route but I've already put so much effort into this project so I'm not real excited about figuring out all the details all over again with a new unit. I have no doubt that I could force them to take it back (perhaps even use some Credit Card Company leverage) especially where they are selling for higher prices now versus when I bought mine but I don't want to start all over again...

I am just glad to have this place to vent and hopefully help the general public get a little better informed. I suppose this store would have to be considered a little on the shady side although I really was happy with every other part of this transaction... They're only hurting themselves. I had some other things to buy and I went to another store and spent over $500 on a sweet hearth pad and a Cheetah vac and a few odds & ends... CNCPRO teh voting with teh dollar. :cheese:

Well it's good you already have your stove. Sounds like the people who went with Harman may be left out in the cold this winter.

Now on another note for all you pellet users out there BUY ALL YOUR WINTER PELLETS NOW!!! The market is getting flooded with new pellet stoves and all mfg's are producing at record capacity. We all remember when the industry ran out of pellets last time, so stock up now.

Don't panic cncpro ... QF has quality control standards that must be maintained even if made in China...standards are standards.

Yea, it bothers me too, I just had a Quadrafire 4100-I installed last month. One reason I purchased Q-fire was "Made in the USA" and I think it was at least "Assembled in the USA". I have of late had no hope that anything is totally made in the USA other than what we make out of wood grown in our back yard, and then we use tools Made in China.

With the crash of the $$$ Chinese products have got to go up in price when purchased in dollars. So, as we hope to get more jobs back in the USA, stand by to pay more, buy less. I am ok with that.

stoves are put togeather in china do you shop at wal-mart all yuo saying you will only buy american because just about everything you buy is from china most electronics are made in china the quad componets are from the usa and it is usa componets it is called a global economy for a reason.

stoveguy13 said:
stoves are put togeather in china do you shop at wal-mart all yuo saying you will only buy american because just about everything you buy is from china most electronics are made in china the quad componets are from the usa and it is usa componets it is called a global economy for a reason.

Still doesn't mean that when a person goes shopping for an American made product, asks for an American made product and pays for an American made product that he shouldn't expect to get an American made product.

Last time I looked the U.S. was still on the globe.

stoveguy13 said:

I never said that I "only buy American". I prefer to buy American even if I have to pay a little more. I do shop at Wal-Mart occasionally. When I shop at Wal-Mart or anywhere else I try to make intelligent choices. I would much rather buy something made in USA, Mexico, Pakistan, India, Vietnam or any other place than China. I worry about the Trade deficit with China. I do sometimes buy Chinese product but I try quite hard to minimize that behavior.

Still doesn’t mean that when a person goes shopping for an American made product, asks for an American made product and pays for an American made product that he shouldn’t expect to get and American made product.

Amen, Brother. :exclaim:

Jerry_NJ said:
Yea, it bothers me too, I just had a Quadrafire 4100-I installed last month. One reason I purchased Q-fire was "Made in the USA" and I think it was at least "Assembled in the USA". I have of late had no hope that anything is totally made in the USA other than what we make out of wood grown in our back yard, and then we use tools Made in China.

With the crash of the $$$ Chinese products have got to go up in price when purchased in dollars. So, as we hope to get more jobs back in the USA, stand by to pay more, buy less. I am ok with that.

As far as I know all the wood products are fully made in the USA. As Craig has mentioned many times Quad imports their cast iron parts from Belgium and other places, also most of the blower kits come from china. But all the fabricating of the wood stoves and inserts is done here as far as I know.

Thanks "jtp.." I intend to keep it :) the Qfire 4100-I, in fact looking forward to winter, especially with the heat wave here in the NE. I do, still, enjoy the product more by it being "made in the USA".

I have a 1200i from China, and I burned 3.5 tons of pellets through it last winter, and it never missed a beat. You're gonna find that in the next few years, the quality of Chinese made stuff will be as good as anything made here or anywhere else. The thing I'm worried about is the trend toward more food imporatation. Just look what happened with the dog food thing last year. Scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.