Quadrafire Isle Royale owners- How hot do you run your stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron62

Hearth Supporter
May 3, 2008
CT
Well is is finally cold in New England and I'm able to run my stove 24/7. So far I like this stove alot, but have not mastered how to to use the top loader without getting a small amount of smoke in the room. Front loading is best for me as I can really pack it full.

I'm running this stove hotter than what is recommended on the magnetic thermometer that is placed on top of the stove. I find this stove burns cleaner when I keep running at 600 to 700 degrees which is considered overfire by the thermometer label. On start ups I am letting it go to 700-800. How hot do you guys run your stoves?

Thanks

Sounds about right. You have a flue (single wall stovepipe) thermometer. The temperature ranges on the thermometer are for when it's used on the stovepipe. They consider 600 overfire range because the internal fluepipe temps are about double the surface temps. Just go by the temperatures and try to keep that big boy under 800 peak and you'll be fine.

Thank you for the insight. Sounds like operating at 600 to 800 degrees stove surface temp is fine. I thought that the thermometer was designed for the vent pipe. I have 2 thermometers so I will keep one on the vent and compare the temps

Quadman said:
Thank you for the insight. Sounds like operating at 600 to 800 degrees stove surface temp is fine. I thought that the thermometer was designed for the vent pipe. I have 2 thermometers so I will keep one on the vent and compare the temps

I run mine up to 550-625 during start-up and then gradually close the primary to where it stabilizes between 600-700.
My secondaries don't fully kick in until I'm at least above 500. (all stovetop temps)

Also, I prefer front-loading. I don't mind the bending, and it's easier for me to carefully stack/pack the stove.

Front loader here too, I really dislike the top loading. As a matter of fact, for a year I didn't know it had top loading(and neither did the previous owner), as the shipping bolts were still in place on the top griddle. I got a thermo finally for mine, and I have brand new gaskets and couldn't get it to go below 650 stove top temp and still have any meaningful secondaries. The fire died and smoldered when I tried to get it any lower than that.

Quadman - where in CT?

Quadman - sounds like you got it figured out. I am a front loader as well. I don't like dropping wood into my stove, and the ability to place and pack the wood from the front is enough reason to go with the front loading.

I run stove top temps anywhere from 500F to 700 (plus a little :red: ) depending on the heat needs. I have been running mine for several years, so if there are any specifics, feel free to fire off a question.

karri0n said:
Front loader here too, I really dislike the top loading. As a matter of fact, for a year I didn't know it had top loading(and neither did the previous owner), as the shipping bolts were still in place on the top griddle. I got a thermo finally for mine, and I have brand new gaskets and couldn't get it to go below 650 stove top temp and still have any meaningful secondaries. The fire died and smoldered when I tried to get it any lower than that.

Quadman - where in CT?

I'm over in NW CT but I lived near UCONN in the eighties.

northwinds said:
Quadman said:

I run mine up to 550-625 during start-up and then gradually close the primary to where it stabilizes between 600-700.
My secondaries don't fully kick in until I'm at least above 500. (all stovetop temps)

Also, I prefer front-loading. I don't mind the bending, and it's easier for me to carefully stack/pack the stove.

I'll try your method of fire by the numbers and start slowing the air at 550.

I have also been having great luck cold starting the stove. I pack it full as can be with splits (10-12) and then place a 2 inch cube of fire starter log on the side of the stack. After lighting I come back in 15 minutes to close down the start air and primary air. This will take me out about 6 hours or more depending on how hot I want the fire to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.