Quadrafire Mt Vernon Thermostat Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rschuerholz

Sep 27, 2009
MD
I am having a Mt Vernon AE insert installed next week and the installer wants to mount the thermostat on the wall approx. 3 feet to the side of the fireplace. I think I would rather have it mounted on the far wall of the room wouldn't this be a more accurate use of the thermostat. Im affraid that the thermostat will always be cutting the stove down/off due to it being so close. Any ideas on where the thermostat should be mounted?? thanks

If you are only heating that room. Try to find the coolest location in that room If you are heating multiple rooms. Try to find a central location so all the rooms will be heated equal.

It may take some trial and error, But you will get it. This is why most are using a wireless t-stat.

jay

rob0075 said:
I am having a Mt Vernon AE insert installed next week and the installer wants to mount the thermostat on the wall approx. 3 feet to the side of the fireplace. I think I would rather have it mounted on the far wall of the room wouldn't this be a more accurate use of the thermostat. Im affraid that the thermostat will always be cutting the stove down/off due to it being so close. Any ideas on where the thermostat should be mounted?? thanks

Installers are notorious for slapping it on the wall right next to the stove which is a problem. I bought 50 feet of thermostat wire at Lowes and snaked it prior to the install. There are two rules follow, you should not place it on an exterior wall or directly in the convection blower path. Keeping those two rules in mind the farther away from the stove the better. I placed mine on an interior wall in an adjacent room. The cordless remotes have had mixed reviews here on the board and have there own install challenges. I would suggest sticking to the wired option and snaking it all out ahead of time. Good luck!

I think the AE has a very specific thermostat with several stove specific functions. I am not sure the remote t-stats would be compatible. The following is straight from Quadra-Fire MT Vernon AE manual regarding thermostat placement and cautions against using any substitutes.

Thermostat Wall Control Location

The thermostat wall control’s location will have some affect
on the appliance’s operation.

• Maximum wire length from appliance is 100 feet (30.48m)
continuous unspliced wire. Recommended 20 gauge wire,
solid copper .

• When located close to the appliance, it may require a
slightly higher temperature setting to keep the rest of the
house comfortable.

• When located in an adjacent room or on a different floor
level, you will notice higher temperatures near the appliance.

CAUTION! The wall control is an integral part of the appliance.
No other wall control or thermostat can be substituted.

Groundhog said:
CAUTION! The wall control is an integral part of the appliance.
No other wall control or thermostat can be substituted.

Good work GroundHog....I guess that takes care of that.

Yes the AE can only use its own wired thermostat. I really wish it was wireless, would save a lot of headaches.

Best spot for a thermostat is an interior wall. Outside walls are colder and skew the room temp readout.

We have found with pellet stoves having the stat directly to the side of the stove is not all that bad. The convection blower kicks the heat out into the room and the sides of the unit do not throw out much heat. Its not an optimal location, but it works in a pinch. If the homeowner wants to fish a wire elsewhere, so be it. Just maker sure its not in the path of where the convection blower will be blowing right on it.

The nice thing about the AE thermostat is that you can calibrate it. If you have a different temp reading in an adjacent room you can adjust the AE thermostat to match the other reading. I normally put a thermometer in the central heated area and then adjust the thermostat on the AE to match. I don't believe that the placement next to the stove will be a problem (mine is next to the stove).

Status
Not open for further replies.