QUADRAFIRE MT.VERNON VACUUM SWITCH PROBLEM-HELP! I'M COLD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mainegeek said:
jtp10181 said:
mainegeek said:
jtp10181, I'm curious... is there no way to flash these boards in the field? I remember mention of a USB port on the control board; never sought it out though. Does Quadrafire not offer any tools to do this using a laptop?

There is, but that equipment is not available to dealers, only to the traveling field techs from HHT (Quads parent company). I got to watch it once.

Can you imagine an average fireplace tech with a laptop, home made usb cable that hooks to the main board, and crude flashing software.... They would fry just as many boards as they upgrade.

I agree but not completely. I work in IT and field flashing has become relatively harmless and a regular part of the job. USB cables are fairly standard so finding a cable should not be a problem. The only missing piece in my opinon would be Quadrafire providing the drivers, connectivity software, and the fllash binaries. With a small webinar and test, Quadrafire could easily train dealers to do this.

It sounds like Quadrafire likes to keep this field repair close to their chest. Too bad....

I think its more to keeping the firmware proprietary. There is only one stove that I know of that has there firmware open and changable Bixby! Everyone else keeps it a secret.

jtakeman said:
I think its more to keeping the firmware proprietary. There is only one stove that I know of that has there firmware open and changable Bixby! Everyone else keeps it a secret.

Possibly, that's what I was kind of thinking when I said they are keeping it "close to their chest". Maybe they're afraid that the more hands they allow the proprietary binaries into the more likely hood of reverse engineering.

lol, I suppose they wouldn't want a re-flash of linux controlling their stoves. Maybe, Ubuntu Stove edition? :) Even if that would be possible that would SO void the warranty.

I just feel technicians today should be equipped with everything they need to service a device and not need backend support to solve something as simple as a known bug fix.

jtp10181, please do not take any resentfulness in my post; you seem extremely knowledgable and have been very helpful in many posts I've seen.... I just wish Quadrafire was a little more open to field firmware flashing through dealers. Especially when a technician with experience can trace a possible fix back to a firmware flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.