Quadrafire Santa Fe B-1 (2007) Problems, smoked and now blinking blue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mearow

Dec 30, 2014
WA
Hi, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Usually I've been able to troubleshoot by just searching thru old posts. But this one has me baffled.

Christmas Eve, I noticed that after starting an initial fire, it wouldn't feed any more pellets so that the fire would burn out. I had to hit reset to get any pellets to feed. I kept that up for a awhile but eventually it started feeding on its own as normal and worked fine the rest of the night.

Christmas Day I figured it needed a good cleaning so I turned it off and cleaned everything I knew. Emptied the ash tray. Removed the baffles, vacuumed the fan (and tried to dig/scrape what I could out with my fingers). Cleaned the pipe from the outside (don't know how to clean it from the inside). Scraped the heat tubes. Cleaned lint from the fans and the vents on the back cover. Afterwards, it fired up and worked like a top, so I figured the problem was solved.

4 days later the original problem came back. It stopped dropping pellets so the initial fire went out. I opened it and was jiggling wires a little bit, the one on the vacuum switch was very loose and as I pushed it, it immediately started dropping pellets. So that must of been the problem. I left it running and went to another room where I could research online for a replacement vacuum switch. I read in several places that the glue in them fails and then they don't work reliably, exactly my problem. I was confused for awhile tho because the one on my stove is rectangle but my search only showed me round ones, I guess that's the new replacement part. I was going to order one off amazon but first emailed the seller to ask how difficult replacing it is, being a female, I'm not all that mechanical : ) So while I'm doing this internet research...

The boys come running telling me that the stove is smoking. Sure enough, there was smoke coming from underneath and even drifting through the pellets in the hopper. It got worse as time went on, but it seemed like it was just from the fire in the firepot smothering. I can't remember exactly the symptoms, I'm pretty sure the fan was on. I opened the front door and the smoldering pellets alighted, which seemed to keep the smoke down. So I closed the door again and hoped it was just a fluke.

I let it cool down, dumped the smoldering pellets in the outside fire pit. And started it again. Smoke came again but this time from the ignitor, looking at it, it was coated in black goo that was burning off. And then the fan went off. And the igniter went cold. I think I blew a fuse, possibly blew the ignitor (it's only a couple years old and was working great before), and maybe set off some snap discs.

Now when I plug it in, I get a hum and no fan. The control box flashes 6 times.

I tried to check the fuse on the control box but I can't get it out. I twist it and it only twists a little (1/16th of a turn), I pull and it seem stuck.

I have no idea where the other (??) fuse it. I'm also confused about the snap disks, I think I found 2 (#1 and #3) but #2 eludes me. The manual says it has orange wires and I only see 1 orange wire and in a different place. And it says #2 and #3 have a red reset button and I don't see those anywhere. [Pathetic, huh!!]

So I'd like to fix this myself, but the electronics elude me. I did call the shop we bought it from and they say they don't service my rural area (funny, they sold & installed it for us). I'm waiting for the manager to call back with how much the extra fee to come out here is. And if they do come out, it'll be at least a week, maybe longer.

So, I'm kicking in my head the idea of getting the parts and trying to fix this. Except I can't get past the fuse and snap disks. I know I need a new vacuum switch and probably a new igniter. I'm wondering what started the smoking, did the faulty vacuum switch cause a snap disk to go off, and then the fan to go off (altho I thought for sure the fan was on when it was smoking). Then the gunky igniter, from the smoke? which caused it to burn out or fail, which caused the fuse to blow (and the igniter and fan to stop instantly)?

Any help (handholding) you can give me or should I just leave this for the experts? The manager was supposed to call me hours ago so I'm thinking I'm getting the run-around from them : (

Vacuum switch would be the not feeding pellets part. May not need a new switch - could just be cracked/clogged tubing or spade connector on wire. I don't think it matters if it is square or round just as long as the specs are the same.

Gunky stuff sounds like creasote from a poor burn. Did you clean internal stove exhaust pathways? Usually clean out ports to access and assist clean by using bottle or dryer lint brush. Vacuum in there with attachment of hose to shop or stove vac.

Will have to pull up your manual but have to get supper made ... someone may show up sooner. Welcome to the forum!

Lake Girl, post: 1854386, member: 19696"]Vacuum switch would be the not feeding pellets part. May not need a new switch - could just be cracked/clogged tubing or spade connector on wire. I don't think it matters if it is square or round just as long as the specs are the same.
More info: On the right side of the metal housing of the switch, there's a small rectangular black plastic connector where two red wires plug in. This plastic piece is loose and can be pushed back and forth into the metal case, about half an inch. When I jiggled it yesterday, it made the difference between the pellets not feeding and then suddenly feeding. So I really think the one I have is faulty.
Gunky stuff sounds like creasote from a poor burn.
It's never had this coating, but just after the smoky fire in the fire pit. I thought maybe it would burn off like a cooking stove element. But then everything clicked off and went dead. I probably shouldn't have done that.
Did you clean internal stove exhaust pathways? Usually clean out ports to access and assist clean by using bottle or dryer lint brush. Vacuum in there with attachment of hose to shop or stove vac.
Thinking, I don't think I did, since I don't know how. I don't see anything in the manual except the fan behind the right baffle. I'll try again and see if I can figure it out.
Will have to pull up your manual but have to get supper made ... someone may show up sooner. Welcome to the forum!
Take your time : ) With the holiday, I don't think I can even get parts until the 2nd.

Any help with the fuse, what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Joy, joy, I figured out the fuse. Push then twist. I was doing the opposite.

The fuse is fine. This is the one next to the red light on the control box. Is there another fuse?

Last edited:
More info, I'm watching this video:

And I realized that there is no Snap disc #2 installed in my stove. There's a little metal cover screwed over where it is supposed to be. Great, I've been going crazy looking for it. And Disc #3 doesn't have a reset switch, it's similar in style to number 1. Frustrating that the manual is different than what I actually have.

Do you get the red call light to come on when you turn the thermostat up? Sounds like the stove was in shutdown mode when you fed more pellets to it, That is hopefully what happened, and the exhaust fan shut off as it was suppose to, but there was still smoldering pellets. And Quad has changed from the rectangular steel vac switches to the round platic ones. I Can't believe you don't have a #2 shap disc. No spare wires hanging in there? The blinking blue light just says what setting the control box is on. It only lights up when the stove is plugged in. Yours will blink 6 times every ten seconds for 60 seconds. kap

Last edited:
It's marked Jan 2007 on the left side. (The instruction manual is Nov 2005)

When I plug it in, all I hear is a loud constant buzzing and the blue light blinks. When I turn to HEAT the red light comes on and I hear the auger spinning and pellets start falling immediately. The box still blinks blue. I don't hear either fan at all. I don't see the ignitor coming on (turning red)--but I may not be giving it enough time.

There's lots of creosote around the frame of the ignitor and the outside of the firepot, very near the ignitor. I should clean that away before trying too much, can I just scrape it off or is there a recommended cleaner.

Scraping is all you can do. So the exhaust fan does not come on? Pellets shouldn't be falling unless the exhaust fan is running. Try reaching back there and giving the outside plastic fan a spin to see if it is jammed when you turn thermo up. Just make sure it isn't already spinning. lol kap

Hey Kap, can you help Mearow? Far more qualified to the task than I==c but I didn't want to leave her hanging....

Working on it. Will do. But you're no slouch either when it comes to stoves. kap

Reactions: Lake Girl
I spun the fan and it seems to be fine.

But I forgot to mention, I do have replacements for both of the fans still in the box. I bought them last summer figuring I'd replace them someday. The fan was always so loud, I heard the one I got was quieter. But I haven't been brave enough to dig in there and install them yet.

So where are we at with the stove? You needing to clean the igniter area yet? And when stove calls for heat, and pellets are dropping, that igniter should be getting hot. You should be able to feel heat coming off it with your hand. Just don't touch. It will take a little bit to get red hot. lol kap

I Can't believe you don't have a #2 shap disc. No spare wires hanging in there?

Missed this question. There's no loose wires. And it looks like the metal plate covering the hole for it is factory installed (it's the same black sheet metal as the rest).

Okay, I can go clean the ignitor area right now. (I've been bouncing back and forth between double checking the stove and making my boys dinner.) I'll have to remove the ignitor to get to the area properly.

Now that I figured out the fuse and the snap discs, I feel so much more confident about solving this. All your help is wonderful.

OH MY SUCCESS!! THANK YOU!

I cleaned the area then reinstalled the ignitor. Said a prayer and plugged it in. This time the fan came on, tho loudly. (Maybe it was stuck). Then I did notice the igniter getting warm. In a little bit, it started. Pellets are feeding fine. I'll keep watching it tho, it seemed to start smoking like yesterday with no warning.

Now, questions: The convection blower doesn't appear to be spinning, is that normal, I guess if I give it more time it will start.

I still think I need to replace the vacuum switch but that will be a piece of cake. I'll replace the exhaust fan too. Thinking also to replace the thermocouple cover, as it's stained with ash and is the original.

The ignitor is black, smoke is coming from it. I turned it off from HEAT to off but left it plugged in with fan still going.

The stove has to get up to temp before the conv. fan comes on. The #1 snap disc runs this fan. When the disc gets warm enough, it snaps shut, letting power thru it to the conv. fan. As long as cover is in good shape, it is fine. Mine is stained and works fine. Make sure a new gasket came with the new exhaust fan. And if you have to, you can jump the vac switch wires together to keep from having issues, but remember it is a safety feature. And if you do, make sure to do it when stove is off and make sure it can't ground out on stove. Read up real good on exhaust fan replacement before you start. kap

What is smoking? The igniter or the stove?

Would be nice if you could post a pic of the igniter. And check firepot and see what is burning in there. Something has to be oozing into igniter housing and doing this. After fire dies down.

Okay, looks like the smoke was coming from the smoldering pellets in the fire pot. There was so much it was hard to tell where it was coming from.

It ran 4 minutes, perhaps the pipe is clogged and I didn't do a good enough job cleaning it out?

I can get pics. I did dump the smoldering pellets into the ash bin and dump them outside in the outdoor fire pit. If I leave them in there the smoke gets real bad.

If stove is smoking, either the exhaust fan isn't running good enough, or there is blockage in the exhaust path. Cheapest thing to do first is check exhaust path. You already stated you cleaned heat exchanger tubes. What configuration is your exhaust pipe?

Part of my problem is the stove is on the other side of the house from my internet connection, so there is delay between my reports, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.