QuadraFire Service Bulletins?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlbowden

Jan 3, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
Does anyone know where I can find the service bulletins for my Castile insert? I have been all over the QuadraFire web site and I can't find them.

Thanks.

Michael in PA.

They are only available on the dealer's web site. And they are not TSBs per se, more like a list of production improvements with the date and serial number cut in.

The reason I am asking is that the first year I had my Castile insert, QuadraFire recalled the electronics. The second year, QuadraFire released a kit that changed the shape of the firebox and my installer/servicer forgot to notify me. The third year, I had to have the tadpole gasket replaced. My installer did not use the original tadpole gasket but instead replaced it with 3/4" rope. After 1 year, the rope is totally frayed along the bottom of the door.

In addition, I have always had ash on the window. I have been told that this is common. But many of you say that you don't have any problems with ash build up on the window. The ash buildup is always on the lower left (when facing the stove).

I just wanted to be a good consumer and know what I should be asking when I have my stove serviced.

Michael in PA.

Quad still uses the tadpole gasket on the Castiles, so I don't know why your tec changed it to 3/4 rope type.

If you PM me with your e-mail address I can send you the product history with all the production changes. It is in .pdf format and this forum won't let me upload it.

Ok first of all... these "fixes" you mention for the castile must be from before my time (which is not that long ago). So I really don't have exact knowledge of them. But I can tell you that currently if a "fix" is simply to make the unit operate better and does not fix any major safety issues then it is not a "recall". In a recall situation every customer should be notified by mail or phone. If it is just a "fix" then its usually a case-by-case basis, if someone has the problem, you install the fix kit. If the electronics were recalled it is possible they did not have good enough records to find that you had the stove and contact you. Serial number tracking was not very good over 4 years ago and it was hard to find where the actual fireplaces went unless the dealer had very good records.

Also, PH is right, the castile still uses the tadpole gasket. It is expensive, maybe the dealer forgot to order it for your appt so they just used rope? The only thing changed with the gasket is at one time they flipped the opening to the bottom. This cannot be retro fitted on an old unit because there were some air wash changes. This could be why you get ash on the glass and other people do not, maybe the bottom air wash fixed that? If you have an old unit it should be a top air wash.

mlbowden said:
The reason I am asking is that the first year I had my Castile insert, QuadraFire recalled the electronics. The second year, QuadraFire released a kit that changed the shape of the firebox and my installer/servicer forgot to notify me. The third year, I had to have the tadpole gasket replaced. My installer did not use the original tadpole gasket but instead replaced it with 3/4" rope. After 1 year, the rope is totally frayed along the bottom of the door.

In addition, I have always had ash on the window. I have been told that this is common. But many of you say that you don't have any problems with ash build up on the window. The ash buildup is always on the lower left (when facing the stove).

I just wanted to be a good consumer and know what I should be asking when I have my stove serviced.

Michael in PA.

What year is you Castile? I'd be interested in these upgrades/modifications.

First post here!!! Howdy!

I have a Quadrafire Castile insert '02 model and have been very happy with it. I did the installation and do all of my own maintenance. The dealer where I got my stove from no longer carries Quadrafire. The next closest dealer is further than I cared to drive. I've NEVER received anything from Qaudrafire regarding my stove so this thread interests me quite a bit.

I had to replace the door gasket myself 2 years ago and I used 3/4 rope. This is what Quadrafire suggested to me when I called them! The replacement was because of the same reason mlbowden is having. Ash was collecting down on the bottom/right corner. Figure out that the gasket was leaking and causing the ash to be drawn there.

The 3/4 seems to be working fine in my unit.

I am concerned about any upgrades/modifications that my stove may need to be safe or more efficient? We use our stove for primary heating so it's runs 24/7 and needs to be in tip top shape.

Parrot I'll PM you my email address if you can send me that .pdf file?

Thanks much!

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.