quadrafire stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdk84

Feb 23, 2011
New England
Being as curious as i am, can anyone tell me about the quadrafire ACC draft control system. I see there is still a primary air control and such. I like the idea of an automatic draft, and how does it compare to my PE super 27? Not that im getting rid of it thats for sure!

IIRC the ACC system is a timer based, start-up air supply.

I've had two Quadrafires,two 5700's one bought in 2004 it was a great stove and worked wonderful it had two comtrols a quick start and a primary ,unfortunately in cracked three months ago and was replaced fully by Quadrafire ,well it had the new system on it and it did not work as well as the old,also they shrunk the firebox by .5 cu feet.to make a long story short I did not care for the new technology and traded it in two months ago on a Buck 94,that I hate for many reasons,I traded it in on a Blaze King Ultra,and am keeeping my fingers crossed. Sorry to ramble but that's my limited experience with Quads.

Thanks for the replies guys. Like i said was just wondering if that air control system they had is all that it is cracked up to be.

The T6 is an easy to start stove so this feature doesn't attract me. Our stove is run by my wife as well as me and I am the one that has to maintain it, so the simpler the better. IMHO, if the stove is going to have more parts it seems there should be a significant gain to go with the added complexity. That's why I am down on the PE ash pan system. It adds complexity and cost, with no gain for us. Kind of like it was added and designed by marketing instead of someone that uses it.

It would be good to get some thoughts from folks that use the ACC to hear how they like it.

The ACC is nothing more than a timer controlled shut down of the old manual push/pull rod. I have the older style where I actually have to push/pull (yeah, I know - what a daunting task).

That being said - the startup air function of that stove is pretty darn awesome. From cold start to box full-o-fire in 15-20 min. without the need to crack a door like many stoves need. It is a simple design that allows a burst of air (like a bellow, but constant) until the fire is established. The ACC closes this lever after 15 min. I close it when it needs to be closed.

It really is a nice "start up" feature.

gdk84 said:
Being as curious as i am, can anyone tell me about the quadrafire ACC draft control system. I see there is still a primary air control and such. I like the idea of an automatic draft, and how does it compare to my PE super 27? Not that im getting rid of it thats for sure!
Don't waste your money. I wind up shutting my automatic draft control off by hand before the timer even shuts it down. My chimney pipe would be over fired. Unless you have greener wood, but I would never trust it. Also for the size of the stove I think the heat output is pathetic. I think most heat goes up the pipe. You get heat from the front half of the top of the stove and the glass. Forget both sides. I've checked my wood with a moisture meter and it's been 15-19% . Hickory has been burned as well. The side heat shields keep all the heat in the stove sending it up the flue. If I can afford it, I'd get another stove also. I learned my lesson. My next stove will radiate heat out the top, front and both sides. I feel I'm wasting wood burning this beast. I had a Country S210 that would put this stove to shame for heat output. Just my 2 cents!

I have 2 QuadraFire Metal emblems that came with my stove. Have no idea where they go. They each have 2 pins sticking out of the back and sticky tape. I see no holes on the stove body where the pins would go in.

xclimber said:
I have 2 QuadraFire Metal emblems that came with my stove. Have no idea where they go. They each have 2 pins sticking out of the back and sticky tape. I see no holes on the stove body where the pins would go in.

Ash drawer, lower left hand corner. Second is a spare.

As for the OP, I love the ACC on my Quad, I think it save a little time when I build the fire each morning and evening.

ChoppingAccountant said:
xclimber said:

Ash drawer, lower left hand corner. Second is a spare.

As for the OP, I love the ACC on my Quad, I think it save a little time when I build the fire each morning and evening.
OK, Thanks. Realized it must be for the pedestal model. Mine has legs, and the ash draw is embossed with the QuadraFire name.

Status
Not open for further replies.