Quadrafire Trouble Code "Combustion Fan Jammed"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbducks

Oct 21, 2008
Central Iowa
I have a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE bought in 2008. Started noticing the fire would die down and the thermostat was locked in a trouble code "combustion motor Jammed". In the past I've simple unplugged the unit then it would reset and start up, but not lately. So before I purchase a new combustion motor/fan/gasket, is there any other sensors etc that i should know about?

Thanks for any info or shared experiences.

cbducks said:
I have a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE bought in 2008. Started noticing the fire would die down and the thermostat was locked in a trouble code "combustion motor Jammed". In the past I've simple unplugged the unit then it would reset and start up, but not lately. So before I purchase a new combustion motor/fan/gasket, is there any other sensors etc that i should know about?

Things like cleaning the venting, removing and cleaning the combustion blower, making certain things are cleaned between the combustion blower and the area above the burn pot, checking that any vacuum sensor tubing is attached and free of ash and the barb where it attaches to the stove is also clean, then on a long shot some units were having problems with cross talk in the wiring going to the controls that undoing the wire ties seemed to correct.

ETA:Normal wear and tear on door gaskets, cracked vacuum sensor tubing.

SmokeyTheBear said:
cbducks said:

Things like cleaning the venting, removing and cleaning the combustion blower, making certain things are cleaned between the combustion blower and the area above the burn pot, checking that any vacuum sensor tubing is attached and free of ash and the barb where it attaches to the stove is also clean, then on a long shot some units were having problems with cross talk in the wiring going to the controls that undoing the wire ties seemed to correct.

sheesh smokey you really pay attention. thats a hella good start.

smoke show said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
cbducks said:

I didn't want to tell the OP that perhaps a little birdie could have decided to fly in and set up housekeeping.

SmokeyTheBear said:
smoke show said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
cbducks said:

I didn't want to tell the OP that perhaps a little birdie could have decided to fly in and set up housekeeping.

That would be pretty hard to penetrate the fortress of chicken wire to prevent birds from doing just that. The combustion blower would start in the normal fashion, as soon as a fire ignited it would not ramp up like it should, but rather stay in the initial start-up speed. The fan and motor turns freely, and was pretty clean inside the combustion chamber. And now that i have to replace the gasket, I should just just buy one and along with a new (reusable) gasket and have one in stock. I did not realize the door gasket could create enough of a vacuum breech, but I'll check that along with the hoses.

Thanks for the info.

cbducks said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
smoke show said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
cbducks said:

That would be pretty hard to penetrate the fortress of chicken wire to prevent birds from doing just that. The combustion blower would start in the normal fashion, as soon as a fire ignited it would not ramp up like it should, but rather stay in the initial start-up speed. The fan and motor turns freely, and was pretty clean inside the combustion chamber. And now that i have to replace the gasket, I should just just buy one and along with a new (reusable) gasket and have one in stock. I did not realize the door gasket could create enough of a vacuum breech, but I'll check that along with the hoses.

Thanks for the info.

A fortress of chicken wire also can hold just a (not so) small bit of clumpy clingy (air flow disrupting) ash from multiple shutdown startup cycles.

cbducks said:
So has anyone had issues with a vacuum sensor failing?

I'm sure some people have, but those things normally are pretty rugged and long lasting. It is also possible that a bad batch gets past them when they build stoves. But if the stove has operated reliably for sometime I would tend to look at just about anything else first.

You can check your sensor by removing it, connecting it to an multimeter set to an ohm scale and gently sucking on the barb that the tube was connected to, some of the switches also make an audible click when they close in which case no meter is needed.

Remember the stove should be off, cold, and unplugged before doing any of this.

SmokeyTheBear said:
A fortress of chicken wire also can hold just a (not so) small bit of clumpy clingy (air flow disrupting) ash from multiple shutdown startup cycles.

Absotively Posilutely possible.

Well, I just replaced my combustion fan motor. Turned on the stove and as I suspected, same story. The stove starts up runs for about 8 min then shuts down due to " combustion Blower Jammed" error code.

Any other thoughts? OAK is clear as the day installed.

cbducks said:
Well, I just replaced my combustion fan motor. Turned on the stove and as I suspected, same story. The stove starts up runs for about 8 min then shuts down due to " combustion Blower Jammed" error code.

Any other thoughts? OAK is clear as the day installed.

And your venting, did you clean that?

I vacuumed out entire exhaust area, including the direct vent which only runs through the wall then about 2 feet out. I noticed that it did run slightly different when I just pulled the ash pan outward, then back in. But in all honesty, I don't know any other areas that could be clogged. It seams as though the exhaust motor won't ramp up to normal operating speeds. It will run until the thermostat changes from medium start up to just medium, then the error code appears and it automatically shuts down.

I'm on my own since the only quad dealer refuses to drive the 25 miles to my house to look at it.

It is possible that there is an air leak at the ash pan. That could cause a loss of vacuum, basically something is open that shouldn't be, is blocked or severely restricted, the vacuum hose cracked, pinched, or plugged, the barb where it attaches to the stove plugged, a bad gasket, bad combustion blower (you sort of ruled that one out), cross talk in the cabling, loose connection on the vacuum switch,bad controller or a controller that is no longer properly seated, bad vacuum switch. You can jumper the vacuum switch but this is only for a short test, that switch like the high limit switch are critical safeties.

I've emptied my ashpan when it was running and didn't have an issue,so I'm not sure if that would be it or not.Have you vacuumed the area below the baffle plate area? I use a small rubber hose to get down in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.