Quadrafire Vernon AE Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After some initial problems that were taken care of by my dealer, I absolutely love this stove.

Depending on outside air temps and wind conditions we can heat close to 3,600 sq/ft.

We live on a hill so when it gets really cold and windy we need to supplement with propane but usually we have no problems down to the 20 degree point.

I have found that we can keep the temp in the house somewhere between 45 - 50 degrees above outside ambient temp.

Quad seems to have fixed the problems they initially had with this stove so I would doubt that any of the new stoves will have any similar issues.

What settings to you run the stove on tipcaly to keep your home warm?

How warm is your home when you are running it?

How much fuel you go through?

How long does the stove take to really warm up?

I almost always run in the manual mode, normally medium high depending on outside temp.

As mentioned, expect that you can heat anywhere from 45-50 degrees above outside ambient temp. Since I leave the thermostat set at a constant setting it will keep cycling on and off.

Fuel usage will depend upon outside temp. I purchased 5 ton for this year but I don't know that I will use it all.

I have never timed how long it takes to get the stove warm. I run it on the thermostat and let it do its thing. It is really that easy!

Yes I like mine alot fill hopper and set thermostat and forget it . Had for about a year no problems.

I bought mine in Nov 06 one of the first ones out. Yeah they had problems in the beginning. However they released a new mother board and wall control last April that seems to have cured the problems that they were plagued with.
The only real complaints I had was the small ash drawer and the fact that it shuts off when ever it needs to dump the burn pot or it reaches desired temp. If you burn pellets the small ash tray doesn't matter as much but if you are burning corn it has to be emptied morning and night.
This is the fifth mother board and it is supposed to cure the previous problems. There is a lot of very nice features about this stove. You can have a 12 volt battery hooked up to a special cable so that in the event of a power failure the stove will keep running. It also has a choice of fan speeds normal or quiet so that you can watch tv with the stove running.
The heat exchanger is heavy cast iron and the design is such that it captures and retains the heat releasing it even though the stove is off. Cleaning it is simple.
It throws out some serious heat. The interesting thing is that when it shuts down to empty the pot the convection fan will keep blowing heat drawn off the heavy cast iron baffle plate so you are getting heat even though the stove has no flame.
It is all automatic so the owner is dependent on the brain of the stove.
It is a pretty stove and heavy 425 lbs.
In closing yes there were problems but they sold a whole lot of them and of couse you hear about the complaints but not so much from satisfied customers. Also the company stepped up to the plate and made things right which says a great deal about the company.
One last thing is they are very easy to maintain and seem designed to make it easy if you have to remove or replace the exhaust fan as compared to other stoves which can be very hard.

lampare said:
Set at 68 we go thru about 3 bags every 4 days.

In the dead of winter I have mine set at 70/71 and I can go through 2+ bags a day!

Did it take you bit to figure out the heating scheme, like how to use the stove in conjunction with the size of the heating space requirements.

It is not a science that is for sure, it is more trial and error. We have an open layout so getting heat upstairs wasn't a problem. We have ceiling fans in all the rooms upstairs and two in the family room where the stove is located.

It is still a problem to get the heat all the way to the opposite end of the house. Small fans blowing cold air out of a room seems to work better than trying to get hot air into the room. All and all we are happy with the performance of this stove.

It may take a while but you will get the hang of it, I think it is fun playing around with it to see just what it can do and what setting to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.