Quadrafire Voyageur Grand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amboo18

Dec 7, 2016
Southeastern, PA
Let me begin by saying thank you to everyone who has posted on this site. I am a new ( 2 year old ) burner of wood and gained a lot of knowledge from you all before, during, and after the purchase of my Quad Voyageur Grand insert. There seems to be a lack of info on here about this stove compared with other manufacturers so I thought I would share my experience. We purchased it primarily because my wife and I both loved the way it looked and wanted to get a little heat from our fireplace. Before this we just had an open fireplace. What we soon discovered was that this thing is capable of easily heating 2/3 of my 1600sq ft split entry raised ranch as long as someone is home to feed it. The stove is in the lower level and the heat naturally just flows up the open stairwell heating the upstairs well into the 70s. It does not travel down the hallway to the bedrooms. The stove seems to lack enough air on startups so I usually leave the door cracked open for the first 5-10 minutes until it's able to be closed and sustain itself. It's also hard to achieve an overnight burn with enough hot coals the next day to fire it up easily again. Other than that not having any other stove experience we love it!!! We now look forward to sitting by the stove and being very comfortable without worry of the oil burner coming on nearly as often.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I also have a Voyageur Grand. I absolutely love it. My experience with it also echo's yours especially at start up. But besides cracking the door for the first few minutes, the insert is awesome.

Did you install a block off plate? These can be helpful at getting more heat. As noted in a prior thread, I also insulated around the insert, this also seemed to have improved the heat output and burn times a bit.

Anyway glad to see more Voyageur owners popping up lately!

I am a brand new owner of this insert, myself. It was installed a week ago (still no surround - the cast iron one that I want will leave 1" open on each side, so my dealer is working up a quote for some custom made trim to cover that gap. Failing that we have to get the plain "large" surround - I have a really wide firebox.)

With a whopping 1 week under my belt, and zero prior experience with wood stoves, I have to say that I love this thing. When starting, I leave the door open for a good 15 mins until the fire is really going. My fireplace is in a really large room that sits above the garage. It has vaulted ceilings, and has its own heating zone ($$). It gets waaay hot in there if I turn the blower on, but outside temps are still in the mid forties. We turn on the ceiling fan to try and push some of the warm air out the doors, but they are on either side of the stove so it's not been too effective. I may try a regular floor fan to either pull cool air in or push warm air out. Anyway, we bought it more for ambience and to stop the open fireplace from sucking all the (expensive oil) heat out of the room. My family of 5 practically lives in this room, so it's ok that its warmth isn't making it to the rest of the house (2500 sq ft).

Anyhow, +1 on this insert. I chose it after looking at Regency and Jotul. It just looked the best, aesthetically, but I'm happy to report that it's a cinch to operate, too. (At least so far!)

06e9483aeff9417ed9a707de4a14256c.jpg

I also have a Voyageur Grand. I absolutely love it. My experience with it also echo's yours especially at start up. But besides cracking the door for the first few minutes, the insert is awesome.

Did you install a block off plate? These can be helpful at getting more heat. As noted in a prior thread, I also insulated

Did you install a block off plate? These can be helpful at getting more heat. As noted in a prior thread, I also insulated around the insert, this also seemed to have improved the heat output and burn times a bit.

Anyway glad to see more Voyageur owners popping up lately!

Cmarc, I am not sure about the block off plate as it was installed by the dealer and I did not know enough at the time to ask. I don't have a problem getting enough heat as this thing is probably way oversized for my house, but it is less efficient if I'm losing heat up the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.