Quadrafire4100I or Hampton Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sempertanks

Jul 20, 2007
I have been following this website for a year or so, have read a good amount, and have (I think) narrowed my choice to either a Quadrafire 4100I or Hampton HI300 Insert. I havent seen a matchup for these 2 in any of the postings. These both seem to be about the size and output I am looking for and both have the cast iron perimeter my wife likes. Any thoughts on the two comparatively (warranty, output, reliability) would be appreciated. Also, similar for both, I am getting quotes in the $4,000 range installed with liner (I have an attic which adds to the liner length). Does this sound right? Any help would be appreciated. Ive hauled 2 cords of wood, dismantled the gas logs, and Im ready to pull the trigger.

Thanks, Jeff

For a bit more research on the HI300, you can also look at the Regency I2400. They have different surrounds and finishes, but the insides are the same.

I have been following this website for a year or so, have read a good amount, and have (I think) narrowed my choice to either a Quadrafire 4100I or Hampton HI300 Insert. I havent seen a matchup for these 2 in any of the postings. These both seem to be about the size and output I am looking for and both have the cast iron perimeter my wife likes. Any thoughts on the two comparatively (warranty, output, reliability) would be appreciated. Also, similar for both, I am getting quotes in the $4,000 range installed with liner (I have an attic which adds to the liner length). Does this sound right? Any help would be appreciated. Ive hauled 2 cords of wood, dismantled the gas logs, and Im ready to pull the trigger.

Thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff - I'm new to the game too, and had the exact same decision to make at my dealer. I choose the Hampton b/c of the looks (timberline brown enamel looks great) and of the great reviews I read on it and the Regency 2400 (same stove, different looks). I just had it installed a few weeks ago and thus I cannot vouch on its performance or reliability. But from what I hear, if you've got a good dealer, that's all you'll need if any problems arise. Mine cost $3600 installed with a full 30' SS liner out the door (although I was not able to get the liner all the way up my chiminey so it was actually $3300 out the door), so your quote sounds a little high but not too outrageous. And it would have been a few hundred $ cheaper for the Quad or for matte finish in the HI300, so if you do go with the Quad, you may want to shop around further. Best of luck, Rob

THanks for the input. What part of the country are you in Rob? I am in Eastern PA and wonder if the price is a regional thing, or I need to do the car sales thing with these guys. I plan on dropping in on another Regency dealertoday and see what kind of line I get.
Thanks, Jeff

Central Connecticut - BTW, the prices he gave me included a $300 "discount" for stoves he had in stock - so you may want to use that ammo in negotiating if you have to. Good luck today.

Thanks for the input folks. Rob, thanks for saving me $700. I took a drive to a stove shop in Chalfont, PA - very helpful and friendly. Got the feeling they were very customer oriented and looking at the long term (yearly service, referrals, etc..). I got a price quote where you landed and put the deposit down. THe Hampton insert (plain metal, Im not big on the enameled shiney look). I didnt feel like I was getting the used car salesmen treatment. They did a $300 "rebate" - I guess for in stock merchandise, and trimmed the cost here and there saying they liked to give a little break for folks giving them work in the off season. Which makes sense to me, but at several other stove shops where I mentioned that they kind of scoffed at me. Odd. Anyway, at least with the sales side of this Im happy with these folks and look forward to the install next week. Is it wrong that Im this excited about a wood-burning insert? We got hammered on fuel costs the last couple years as I have an old drafty house, and new windows barely offset the rise in fuel costs.

I'm glad to hear the good news - keep us posted on the install. And there's no shame for excitement here; although my wife is getting a little tired of my wood obsession.

Hmmm, Quad or Hampton, Quad or Hampton......look at the avatar. I was torn between the two as you were. Both are nice but ask about the weight of the 2. The hampton in any flavor is just more stove. The blower is also quieter. Last the hinge on the Hampton is built stronger...not like you are ever going to be hanging on it when its lit :~) I have had the Hampton for a year now and have had inserts for 20+ years between my folks and my house. Go ahead get excited. The anticipation will build until your first heating bill. Then its just money in the bank. Btw, start cutting and splitting now cause they like DRY wood. Doubt you could even dry it enough this year to burn. You may want to buy "seasoned" wood now as it is rarely ready when delivered.

THanks all. Waiting on the install in a few days. Got the hearth all cleaned out, removed the gas logs and gas line the previous owners had. Ive got about a cord and a half I scrounged, and half of that was sitting around in a guys yard for a couple years so it has some seasoning to it even if it wasnt split. My stove shop has a meter to measure moisture content on the wood, so we;ll see if the nice split oak I got for free will make it dry enough to burn this winter.
I have an old stone house built in the 1920s, I think it has about an inch of insulation in some spots if youre lucky. I look forward to fighting back the heat bill this year. And as Ben Franklin said, the wood warms you twice. I told my 8 year old son that saying and he look worried.
I will keep you posted

Status
Not open for further replies.