quadrafirecontour not starting. and its not the ignitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpodolski

Aug 5, 2007
stopped auto-lighting the other day so I went and bought and igniter. Installed it and it still doesn't start. I seem to have 3 to 3.5 VAC on it. Any idea what may be the cause?

thanks in advance

marc Podolski

From where to where are you measuring the 3.5 V? Across the igniter? From one side of igniter to ground?

Did you check ohms on the igniter?

I would check the old igniter with a meter. If it has a dead short, It possible you also popped something on the control board. I really wish they would all start using a simple fuse to protest the boards!

j-takeman said:
I would check the old igniter with a meter. If it has a dead short, It possible you also popped something on the control board. I really wish they would all start using a simple fuse to protest the boards!

They sell you the stove Once. They sell you replacement parts Over and Over

just got back from the weekend in the berkshires. looks llike volts to ground (stove body) are 3 to 3.5 volts or so...everything else works though...looks like I have a manual stove from now on. Anyone know what the voltage should be?

marc4fishing said:
just got back from the weekend in the berkshires. looks llike volts to ground (stove body) are 3 to 3.5 volts or so...everything else works though...looks like I have a manual stove from now on. Anyone know what the voltage should be?

Most of the igniters work on normal 120 Volts AC. You can setup a test jig and power both the old and new ones using any regular outlet in your home. Before doing that check the resistance across the igniter leads it should not be zero and do not run it in a test jig if it is below 20 ohms. Remember the critter will get very hot so handle it properly while testing.

You should also look for a blown fuse, some are inline, some are on the control board, and unfortunately it is possible that a stove doesn't have one. Why I don't know but such is life.

Every Quad I have worked on has an ignitor fuse which is mounted right near the reset button or right next to the main control board.

Check the fuse.

You also simply said it wont auto-start, no one asked the obvious so I will. Did you check to see if the ignitor is actually getting hot? If its getting hot but the pellets wont light then its a cleaning / maintenance issue.

the igniter is cold. the only fuse in see is the main fuse that takes out everything. where would i look for the igniter fuse?

marc4fishing said:
the igniter is cold. the only fuse in see is the main fuse that takes out everything. where would i look for the igniter fuse?

I think that is the fuse I am thinking of. It usually only blows from an igniter short. I have seen it blow once from a melted harness going to the auger also, so you are right it is for the whole thing not just the igniter.

The melted harness was caused by a small auger chute fire from lack of maintenance (as admitted to me by the customer).

If that fuse is fine, then the control board might need to be replaced.

There's also a small fuse INSIDE the control box but it's only a 3/4 amp fuse so it's not for the igniter, which draws 3.3 amps. It may, however, feed a relay that controls the igniter.... If you are out of warranty, it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.