Quadrafire's "ACC" system ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benchwrench

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
State of Confusion
Greetings all,

I have owned a Quadrafire stove for the past 20 years.
I am planning to install an 5100i insert so I thought it best to join the group here on hearth.com to ask some of you guys about a few tidbits regarding this install.

First of all I am not sure what to expect from the new "ACC" feature that's available on select Quadrafire units.
Does anyone out there have any experience with a ACC feature on their Quadrafire system?
I'm pretty old school regarding combustion control and not too versed on this 25 min? timer feature that throttles back the primary air during start up.

After looking at a couple of posts, I haven't seen much positive regarding it's performance over the ACT models.

Thanks,
Bench

Welcome Bench. I have to agree with you. I prefer a stove to be as simple as possible. The ACC feature doesn't excite me because if it is twice as complicated for me, it will be 8 times so for my wife. She does a good job with a the T6 partly because it's a simple stove to operate. I like to keep her happy and my maintenance to a minimum.

I hate answers to questions that say "I don't have one but..." But for the first time I am going to do it. No timer can look at that fire and tell you what is happening. I like Quad stoves but if I had one with ACC I would use the ACC exactly once. Just for entertainment.

I ain't walking away from any wood stove on start-up until it levels out.

BrotherBart said:
I hate answers to questions that say "I don't have one but..." But for the first time I am going to do it. No timer can look at that fire and tell you what is happening. I like Quad stoves but if I had one with ACC I would use the ACC exactly once. Just for entertainment.

I ain't walking away from any wood stove on start-up until it levels out.

I don't have a Quad either, but I think this is the most important statement to remember: no two fires are alike. BrotherBart is exactly right. There is no way I'd walk away from a fire and rely on a timer to cut back the air. I've had plenty of fires that were ready to throttle back in easily half the time that some timer system would prefer. Simply put, there is no substitute for watching what is going on in the firebox.

Now, on paper, I think it's a neat idea.

First of all, thank you guys for the responses.

The general census seems to agree with my thoughts on this ACC system, However I did seem to have noticed a tug in the direction of the PE EBT system on their Summit insert, and it looks like that unit would work for my application and would fit.

I've looked at Lopi's freedom bay, the Osburn 2400i, Pacific Energy T-5 Alderlea, PE "Summit", the Regency I3100 and the Quadrafire 5100i ACC and ACT specifications. For clearance issues on this home's arched fireplace, I am limited to the highth of the unit so that whittled down my choices somewhat.

anyways, after some poking around here on hearth.com regarding the ACC feature without any personal experience on the subjet, I tend to shy away from "stuff" like this. However I thought PE's EBT system looks like a hoot.

Thanks for the feedback on the ACC system.

I need to consider asking questions regarding the liner and installation I'll post in another thread after doing a search to be more informed.

Bench

There's a famous/infamous EBT thread here, too. Again, not owning a PE, I can't comment with authority, but there are those who view the EBT with as much skepticism as the ACC on the Quads. Now, both companies make a fine product, so don't let any "paper gimmicks" such as an EBT system or an ACC system dissuade you from an otherwise fine brand.

I don't own one either but we've taken one apart. It seems the primary purpose of this device is to improve the EPA readings. EPA states that when testing the firebox door can only be open for 5 minutes (this is verified with a chronometer). If you were to leave the door even a crack, it would introduce more oxygen = hotter fire = less emissions. Since most of your emissions are primarily on startup that's the reason for the rule. Therefore as a engineer you try to get to temp as fast as possible during those 5 minutes.

Or... as a loophole you can design a device to basically introduce more oxygen into the fire chamber without opening the door after the 5 min. rule. This is 'technically' not cheating. Just a reinterpretation of the rules. The problem is if you leave this device open it provides too much oxygen therefore your secondaries wont fire up properly and your burn time will shorten (will also fail EPA). That is why its on a timer.

My advice? If it breaks down leave it be. Nothing is hurt. You probably dont use a chronometer anyway. :)

After careful consideration I've decided against the purchase of Quadrafire's ACC system of burn control. Mainly because it didn't meet the Btu requirement needed to heat this home. However I did find another insert, one that would put out some serious Btu's if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.