Quadrature 2700i Firebox Crack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwise.157

Burning Hunk
Oct 24, 2013
heath, ohio
Well, I just noticed that I have a crack along a weld along the front of my Quadrature 2700i wood burning insert. Quadrafire only offers a 3 year warranty on the firebox, and of course it is about 37 months since I bought the insert. Any suggestions on repair?

cb3b4ee59ec7375b689cff4ef9818448.jpg
55be8587b08b926dddec49a66719219f.jpg
b891abb8910412fa48997729e7d511b9.jpg

I'm no expert just thinking out loud but looks like an easy weld repair. It's fairly small and in a straight line. I'm thinking it could be re welded easy enough.

Also if your only 1 month out of warranty I would atleast try to make a claim. I know in the automobile world often if there is a major failure a couple of months or even a few thousand miles outside of warranty repairs sometimes get covered. Perhaps it's the same with stoves ? Worth a try

Yeah try a warranty claim. Heck of a place to crack. There is cooler air coming though that boost manifold plus the cooler airwash air is coming down on it.

All things considered it is an easy job for somebody with a portable stick welder.

I just noticed it today, when I was doing a more thorough cleaning since I wasn't burning. We have had warmer weather this week. It is cracked beside an existing weld. I have a stick welder, but I don't have any cords long enough to reach. I will contact the installer on Monday.

Back several years ago, a really good tractor mechanic I worked for told me that to stop a crack, you need to drill a hole at each end of the crack before welding. Just simply welding over the crack won't stop it from spreading. I will certainly ask when I call the dealer.

The firebox has a limited lifetime warranty on parts. The 3 years is for labor.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: begreen
My dealer has been in contact with Home & Hearth Technologies about getting this repaired. Right now, they are telling me this will probably be a replacement instead of fixing.

I haven't used the insert since the crack was discovered. I am not sure what is all underneath that front ledge, and I don't want to have a potential fire. Bad thing is it hasn't been real warm here lately, and we could stand a little heat in the house.

Hopefully the dealer gets back to us quickly, but I doubt it will get taken care of in the time frame I want.

JD 1025r, JD 790, 1968 JD 4020 Diesel

That is where startup air comes in. Should be a small hole in that dog house. So you might get some extra air through the crack if the start up is open.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: bwise.157
It has taken a while, but I was finally contacted by my dealer, and they are going to do a warranty replacement of the insert. Hopefully I get a new stove, and not a refurbished one.

Good to hear they honored the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.