Quads! Where are you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the loss of your friend Quads, also sorry that you have to deal with dial up internet. I can't believe over the years that you have uploaded all those wonderful pics with dial up! Win 7 should be good for you, I run it on my 4 PC's here and really like it. Surprised to hear you had driver issues.

Hopefully with time, you will be able to come to terms with your friends sudden departure.

'bert

The hardest part is uploading the videos on dialup! That's why you'll never see a video longer than 15 seconds from me. 15 seconds takes an hour to upload.

Thanks Shari. The kid at Staples mentioned the same thing, and with some other programs I was unsuccessful. I have the Windows 7 64 bit, and it's the Home Premium edition, not the Pro, so I guess that makes a difference.

Quads, I think I have a 386-33 machine in my attic with 3.1 on it, you're welcome to it if it will run your weather station. Let me first delete all the...um....pictures that we downloaded from FTP sites back in the day. Still has the 5 1/4 floppy drive too, and like 16 megs of RAM (i could be mistaken, could be only 8). Hope you can write a .BAT file as you'll likely need a boot disk to run the weather station off of it.

I have a usb to serial adapter for my old GPS and also my OBD-II interface. it works well with windows XP, but I've not tried it with windows 7. our only windows 7 is a pink netbook that belongs to my wife that isn't currently working due to a monitor issue. If I get a chance I'll gladly try using that adapter on there to see if we can get it to work with Win7, then your problem would be solved. Serial ports went the way of the Do-Do bird a long time ago on laptops, so I'm not surprised to hear about your lack of one.

Delta-T said:
Quads, I think I have a 386-33 machine in my attic with 3.1 on it, you're welcome to it if it will run your weather station. Let me first delete all the...um....pictures that we downloaded from FTP sites back in the day. Still has the 5 1/4 floppy drive too, and like 16 megs of RAM (i could be mistaken, could be only 8). Hope you can write a .BAT file as you'll likely need a boot disk to run the weather station off of it.
Ha ha! Thanks, but no. I will do as King Gates wishes and let the old stuff end up in the landfill............

Danno77 said:
I have a usb to serial adapter for my old GPS and also my OBD-II interface. it works well with windows XP, but I've not tried it with windows 7. our only windows 7 is a pink netbook that belongs to my wife that isn't currently working due to a monitor issue. If I get a chance I'll gladly try using that adapter on there to see if we can get it to work with Win7, then your problem would be solved. Serial ports went the way of the Do-Do bird a long time ago on laptops, so I'm not surprised to hear about your lack of one.
I think even if I had a USB to serial adapter, I doubt Windows 7 would ever run the older weather station software. It wouldn't even run some of my Windows 98 programs.

Win 7 has many software compatibility modes, right back to Windows 95, which was not that different then 3.11, bit finally did allow for long file names :coolsmile: Of course then those files no longer worked when you needed to use them on a 3.11 machine after. Those were some good IT times, good times!

Quads: For the weather station software, you might consider installing VirtualBox and creating a virtual machine using an older version of the operating system. It can be configured to start when the host system boots and would run in the background until needed. I have a USB-to-Serial adapter I can send along if it helps, it is definitely supported by Windows 7. With the adapter in place, VirtualBox can be configured to pass-thru access to the weather station.

DeePee said:
Quads: For the weather station software, you might consider installing VirtualBox and creating a virtual machine using an older version of the operating system. It can be configured to start when the host system boots and would run in the background until needed. I have a USB-to-Serial adapter I can send along if it helps, it is definitely supported by Windows 7. With the adapter in place, VirtualBox can be configured to pass-thru access to the weather station.
Thanks for the help! I don't know anything about it, but I think I read somewhere that I can only do that with Windows 7 Pro? I have Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). Anyway, I might just repair the old XP computer and use that for weather station duties etc. But I will let you know if I need it.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I've had to realize that my 10 year old is heading into that confused adolescent phase. My policy is to try to talk about everything and, in turn, to try and listen as much as I can. You never know? 16 years old is so young and so tragic. My heart goes out to the kid and all of his family and friends. Hopefully, in some way, the kids that he knew will do something positive in his remembrance.

Quads, one more bit of advice. Get a Mac. More money up front, cheaper in the long run. Trust me on that one. Take it out of the box, plug it in, and you are set for years. Believe it.

Thanks.

I've never actually seen a Mac, in a store or otherwise. But I am very tempted to get away from Windows someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.