Quaker Stove circa 1970's Handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

quakerman

Dec 31, 2015
NH
I'm a newbie; I bought a house in 97, came with stove; house built about 1976; stove, handle, and vent knobs worked fine up until a year ago or so; somehow the handle came off, and some parts must have disappeared, because it does not work as is anymore; looking for someone with same stove/handle that can inform me what is missing in terms of nuts, washers, etc; or where I can purchase a new one that is complete.

Peter

Attachments

• quaker stove 2.jpg
    quaker stove 2.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 527
  • quaker stove 1.jpg
    quaker stove 1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 524
  • quaker stove handle.jpg
    quaker stove handle.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 434
Recenty purchased, 1st test burn with baffle plate installed. Good thing I did this outdoors because the stovebox paint began to smoke for an hour, which has me concerned if improper paint was used.
Will try for a 2nd test burn tomorrow, if it smokes again, I'll be considering sandblasting to bare metal, then StoveBright paint.
20180821_103917.jpg 20180821_104042.jpg 20180821_102954.jpg
Is this smoke typical for curing StoveBright or Thurmalox paints?

Last edited by a moderator:
any of the high temp paints are going to have an off gassing until fully cured.

Quakerfan, did firebrick get installed on the sides and back with the baffle plate?

2nd burn yielded similar results, stovebox paint peeling and flaking.
There was less visible smoke from paint, but now its burning and falling off, still off gasing noticeably smell. No firebrick was used, bare box test fire for 1-2 hours.

The cast iron facade & door show no signs of paint burn, yet it appears same paint was applied. Decision has been made to sandblast clean, apply new paint.

Install the side and back firebricks. The sides might be getting too hot or maybe the surface prep for painting wasn't good. Or like you mention the wrong paint may have been used. Or the stove could have had stove polish on it before it was painted. That has to be removed or the new paint won't bond well to it.