Quaking Aspen 14.75 / Solar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Another day in the woods so I bucked up the aspen, I cut from the uphill side with the stihl 390 with the 20 inch bar. My wife brought lunch so after we ate we winched up 7 rounds, I'll post those pictures separate.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1156.jpg
    100_1156.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 288
  • 100_1157.jpg
    100_1157.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 318
  • 100_1158.jpg
    100_1158.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_1159.jpg
    100_1159.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 324
  • 100_1160.jpg
    100_1160.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 281
That is the best shot of that tree yet Zap.

SolarAndWood said:

It drained me of any energy that I had, it will make for some nice firewood next heating season. 2011-2012

zap

zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:

It drained me of any energy that I had, it will make for some nice firewood next heating season. 2011-2012

zap

You are kidding right Aspen? It burns as fast as newspaper...

jstellfox said:
zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:

zap

It's for the shoulder season not for the dead of winter. Why burn the good stuff early.

zap

jstellfox said:
zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:

zap

jstellfox have you ever burned cherry?

zap

I've burned some...I don't love it or anything. I think it burns similar to Ash, not real great for over night or many hard coals...why do you ask?

I burned mostly cherry last year except for two face cord of Sugar Maple, not a big difference in the BTU ratings when we are talking cherry and quaking aspen.

zap

18 millon btu's a cord middle of the road I would take it....

smokinjay said:
18 millon btu's a cord middle of the road I would take it....

I wish that I would have taken some last year for this year.

zap

Zap, Lets just burn some white oak and call it a day...its more my cup of tea. Oh and you just committed the cardinal sin on Hearth,,,"the mystic FACE CORD" you better go with 2/3 of a full cord instead so they don't put you on probation :)

[del]Zap, Lets just burn some white oak and call it a day...its more my cup of tea. Oh and you just committed the cardinal sin on Hearth,,,"the mystic FACE CORD" you better go with 2/3 of a full cord instead so they don't put you on probation[del][/del][/del]

jstellfox said:
Zap, Lets just burn some white oak and call it a day...its more my cup of tea. Oh and you just committed the cardinal sin on Hearth,,,"the mystic FACE CORD" you better go with 2/3 of a full cord instead so they don't put you on probation :)

I wish that I had oak.

zap

You are good Zap, that Oak would just clog up your storage space.

Was that the same tree that was lay'en down in the ravine you posted? Looked like a tough take to me...good for you for cutting it up. Like you said perfect for shoulder season like next month when you have those real cold morning and warm afternoons and you don't want any hot coals left.

savageactor7 said:
Was that the same tree that was lay'en down in the ravine you posted? Looked like a tough take to me...good for you for cutting it up. Like you said perfect for shoulder season like next month when you have those real cold morning and warm afternoons and you don't want any hot coals left.

Savage that is the same one.

zap

Great work zap! I know that tree took a little planning. Great job on getting it done.

Skier76 said:
Great work zap! I know that tree took a little planning. Great job on getting it done.

Thanks Skier76, I took some suggestions from Sav (Dennis) and some others. I should have over one cord if not more of softwood for next heating season 2011-2012.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.