1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

quaking aspen and others in the poplar family for burning?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by WonderingWoman, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WonderingWoman

WonderingWoman New Member

Loc:
    Pacific NW
    Is there anything inherently wrong with burning woods from the poplar family, such as aspens and cottenwood? We have aspens here and I just trimmed the ones in my yard. I figured that in a year or two I could burn it. I know it's not primo, but can I burn it?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    If it's wood, burn it.
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Do they baby-sit for each other? I remember reading or watching a show where they were talking about humans and how we relate emotionally to other species of all types. Example: It's OK for us to kill & eat Tuna...but we would never kill & eat a Dolphin, because Dolphins are so much more fun to play with, and Dolphin mothers have been observed apparently baby-sitting for each other. So...I ask you...could you cut down and burn a tree that will baby-sit for her friend? Don't lose all compassion just because you wield a chainsaw. Watch them for a while, and if they exhibit any signs whatever of anthropomorphism, then just let them be your friends. :p Rick
  4. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    It just does not have a great BTU value. It burns well when seasoned. Softwood is nice just b/c it is light. After dealing with big oak rounds, even ash and others feel light like soft wood.

I could enjoy handling a cord of that...
  5. skinnykid

skinnykid New Member

Loc:
    Next to a lake in NH
    DUDE? Do you need me to UPS you some of my Mushrooms? Or maybe you have had to many already?
  6. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Must be all those years at sea, with no wood to burn :p

Rick, yer a crewl dude when it comes to wood for burning [​IMG]

WW, season it, and burn it, woman !!!![​IMG]
  7. WonderingWoman

Loc:
    Pacific NW
    Thanks, I'll burn it. I'll cut it and put it on my next year pile of wood.
  8. WonderingWoman

Loc:
    Pacific NW
    Nope, they reproduce with highly primative and invasive methods, by sending suckers all over my yard.
  9. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Cut them and burn them, every one! :coolgrin: Rick
  10. coreystaf

coreystaf New Member

Loc:
    Southwest CO
    I heat SOLELY with aspen. Mostly because I get it for free, but its actually a pretty good firewood, it seasons very fast, and if you can pack enough into your stove, it will burn all night pretty easily. Smells nice, and not much ash
  11. WonderingWoman

Loc:
    Pacific NW
    cool! There's a lot of it here along the rivers and streams!
  12. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Aspen is pretty similar to cottonwood and I processed and burned 7 cords of it last year. It burns just fine. You need to season it properly by getting it off of the ground and out of the rain or it'll rot out really quickly.

I saved a colony of quaking aspen on my woodlot because they sound so nice in the wind. Goofy looking tree though.
  13. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Poplar is pretty close to aspen...

... and we've burned tons of it over the years. Might be difficult to hold a fire overnight with it but in the day time when you up and about you house it's great. Puts out plenty of heat right away and leaves little coals...so just save the hardwood for overnight burns. Poplar is our go to wood for instant morning heat...yeah so it doesn't last long conscientious woodburners can work around that.

With out newer EPA stove it burns so much better that I've stopped brush cutting the poplar saplings as a nuisance tree and am letting them alone...something will have to replace our ash when the emerald borer gets here. One final thing imo standing poplar is an easy take to harvest as well, being that the trees grow straight and the branches are small very much like an ash tree.

Just to clarify I'm NOT saying poplar is a good wood...we just happen to accept it for what it is and like it that way.
  14. neverrude

neverrude Member

Loc:
    NJ

:lol: ... :lol:
  15. coug2wolfs

coug2wolfs New Member

Ooooooooooooooo! Aspen, that is some of the best wood on the planet for smoking salmon! You get a good bed of hot coals going in an ouside firepit and then put green aspen wood on the coals. That will be the best fish you've ever eaten!

You have my mouth watering:)
  16. glacialhills

glacialhills Member

Loc:
    S.W. Michigan
    Lots -o- cotton wood here. Aspen's fuzzy cousin. I like the fact that you can drop the tree and zip zip zip right down the log and at the end, have narry a small pile of brush and nice uniform rounds that split like a dream.Ya blink twice, Regrows, and ya cut again. Quick hot fires that work great for morning chill and shoulder season. Get it off the ground and split right away tho, cause it rots/turns punky fast in the round and when left in moist contact.
  17. glacialhills

glacialhills Member

Loc:
    S.W. Michigan
    Oh and you dont need to wait a year or two for poplar,aspen, cotton wood to season. Give it all summer split & stacked in the sun and it should be plenty dry and ready to go_One year tops.If stored longer than that, move it inside a wood shed. Wait two years stacked outside in the elements, and it could be mostly a pile of dust.
  18. caber

caber New Member

Loc:
    Western Maryland
    Yup. If you cut and split the poplar now, you should be able to burn this winter. Maybe late December or January. Poplar dries very quickly. We burn a lot of it and its nice to make fast, hot fires. But lousy for overnite burns.
  19. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Words to live by right there my friends. :coolsmirk:
  20. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    yep! I'll burn any tree that grows round here.
  21. rich81

rich81 Member

most of my trees grow round too!!! what a coincidence
  22. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Drum beat, cymbol crash! :lol:
  23. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    A lot of folks are "into" hybrid poplars for planting because they grow back so fast- you can get more wood off an acre. I'll avoid it because I'm "into" native species, but it does seem that poplar is popular in some circles.
  24. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I think this has been asked before, but I'll throw it out there again.

What are some of the fastest growing native tree species in the northeast (and their growth rate per year)? My front property line along the road has only one small maple and a fairly large lilac bush. I'd like to plant some trees that provide a good deal of privacy.

Any thoughts.
  25. caber

caber New Member

Loc:
    Western Maryland
    Don't plant poplar if you want a woodlot for firewood that will burn overnight. I use it because I have so much of it. I'm trying to eliminate it and replant with something of quality. Ash and maple would be my first choices.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.