quaking aspen and others in the poplar family for burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For privacy- you'll want to look at evergreens. Firs are a good bet.

If there is sun- you can get arbor vitae that grows really fast. There's a scale causing issues for AV in some places, but it can be controled.

Oh it gets direct sun almost all day long....and yes these would be for privacy/shade, not for burning.

Arbor Vitae hu....have to look into that.

Tfin said:
I think this has been asked before, but I'll throw it out there again.

What are some of the fastest growing native tree species in the northeast (and their growth rate per year)? My front property line along the road has only one small maple and a fairly large lilac bush. I'd like to plant some trees that provide a good deal of privacy.

Any thoughts.

Boxelder seems to grow rather quickly around here (soft maple).
Beyond that - Willow, Cottonwood & the trusty Aspen.

Like was said before, Aspen is great for me, because it dries so fast.
Got a lot of it in my wood shed.

Do not waste your back muscles on Aspen! Yes it burns. Yes it's light. Yes, it also burns. Unfortunately, it takes up space in your wood-getter, wood-storage, and wood-fired hydronic unit. Unless you like to sit around all winter feeding a fire, burn real wood!

caber said:
Don't plant poplar if you want a woodlot for firewood that will burn overnight. I use it because I have so much of it. I'm trying to eliminate it and replant with something of quality. Ash and maple would be my first choices.

Ive been cutting poplar saplings down like forever cause I've always considered them a nuisance but now that the emerald ash borer is on the march toward me I've decided to let the poplars go. They grow fast and are easy takes to harvest sure they won't hold a fire overnight but with the newer stoves they do burn better...I can live with them.

In late spring when they put out their seed it's almost like it's snowing...ya gotta play with the cards you're dealt with...besides in another year I'll be retired so that'll give me something to dick with in the winter.

Tfin said:
Oh it gets direct sun almost all day long....and yes these would be for privacy/shade, not for burning.

Arbor Vitae hu....have to look into that.

very nice trees usually very full from the bottom up. justed planted 7 of them last friday

Nothing wrong with burning poplar. It splits very easy, dries fast and great for flash fires and is a great wood to use when you require a flame but you also need to reduce the size of a large coalbed.

i just asked this same question a few weeks ago and got one answer. i'm glad someone else asked it becasue they got bout 3 pages worth of answers LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.