Qualified estimate to rebuild VC Defiant 1A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Don't know if this is the right spot for the post, but here goes. I am having trouble finding a firm to provide a quote to rebuild my wood stove that was submerged during Irene's wrath. It is a Defiant 1A circa 1980. It was under water for 4-5 hours and was unable to be cleaned for nearly a week due to it's location and position on the list of priorities during the cleanup. I can see the following issues:

Seals are falling off the doors (just replaced last spring)
Handles are rusted frozen
Surface rust everywhere

This unit has a re-direct baffle that does spin freely as of now. I am seeking an estimate to have it rebuilt on site. Disregarding distance to me, I would appreciate anyone that may be in the business that could provide a qualified quote. This is for claims purposes and will likely not be done due to the limited value of the stove and cost to rebuild. But one never knows. Appreciate any help offered here. It has been a difficult road of late. I will send a pm with an email address to anyone that can help out.

Thanks in advance.

where in the northeast are you? I rebuild Defiants on site, but travel is a limiting factor. Could the stove find it's way to New Hampshire?

D3- I was looking more for a valid rebuild estimate as a means of legitimate claim for damages. I would rebuild the unit myself if it comes to it. Just thought I would need an estimate for reimbursement purposes. At this point in time, it does not look as though I will need that paperwork. If I do, I will pm you. Thanks...

I can't give you a "valid" estimate because I'm not a repair facility, but the local pros told me $400-500 to completely tear down and rebuild my VC Vigilant, depending on what needed to be done. So call it a "ballpark" estimate. Sure glad I found mine in perfect shape for $300.

Battenkiller said:
I can't give you a "valid" estimate because I'm not a repair facility, but the local pros told me $400-500 to completely tear down and rebuild my VC Vigilant, depending on what needed to be done. So call it a "ballpark" estimate. Sure glad I found mine in perfect shape for $300.

This is the last winter for the Vigilant. A proper burial will take place come April.

Status
Not open for further replies.