Quality of Rocky Mountain Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Pencil

Oct 30, 2008
Tipp City, Ohio
Bought eight bags to try out. Current price is $4.99/bag ($250/ton) and no discount per ton given. But I asked if I purchased 10 ton if they would give me a discount. I figured maybe a dime off per bag. After a half hour they came back with $212.50/ton. Is this a deal? I have never used this brand before. They are in a clear bag with green lettering.

Ive heard good reviews on this pellet,and at 212 per ton I would jump on it.Try a search you will find some other posts on this pellet.Can you try a few bags first?

I use them and they are great no fines, burn well no clinkers, good pellet size and good heat, average ash and that handy handle on the bag is great!. The bag itself is quality and the pellets they put in them are great. 212 a ton you better get 20 tons.

Clear bag eh. I wonder if this is the 'mystery pellet' a local dealer here is telling my neighbor is the best pellet EVER, which he is supposedly getting. I just called them (L&L;Fence in Whately) to see what they have. NEWP and Appling @ $270/ton plus delivery. She didn't know the name of the incoming brand or how much it will be. I doubt the mystery brand will be cheaper than the two brands they have on hand.

I hate the idea of paying $270/ton! I think the delivery fee is one flat fee of $50 plus $2/mile to one's home (13 miles, so $26). I'd be splitting that with my neighbor so that's only $38 for delivery, but still....it seems I should be able to get pellets for at MOST $250 ton right now, including delivery I mean. (Pelletsales has them for $250 but their deliver fees bring it right up top $270 ton).

This is annoying.

I picked a few bags from TSC, And I really like them. They are one of the hottest softwoods I have burned. Very clean burn too!
If I could get them for less than $250/ton I'd burn them. But TCS want's $289/ton. To pricey right now!

just my 2.
jay

ive burned them , was quite happy with them in as far as the clean burn , they did well with that. they do not however heat as well (at least for me) as the lignetics (hardwood) that i usually burn here is what the company has to say about their product.

http://rockymountainpellets.com/pellets.aspx

as for me , just the fact that they are IMHO a totally "green" product made from "beetle killed" trees that normally would have to be disposed of in different ways, i applaud their finding a way to gain productive use from this resourse.

would i buy them again , an adamant yes. even though i have to run my stove a notch or two higher to get the same heat output they do burn very clean in my stove and are in the end good for the environment.

I just tried a few bags this past week and they burn great with some fines but not alot the heat I found was right inline with lignetics.

I burned quite a few bags of these this winter. I wish I could find some more of them. They were awesome. You won't be disappointed.

we are very fortunate that they are made right here in our backyard. I just orderd another truckload yesterday, they showed up today! :)

MountainStoveGuy said:
we are very fortunate that they are made right here in our backyard. I just orderd another truckload yesterday, they showed up today! :)

Sure Rub it in why don't you. Bet you getting them cheaper than $289/ton too!

jay

well, i buy 23 tons at a time. Wholesale is about $190 without any freight. Local price retail here is $259.00. there is zilcho markup on pellets...

so you guys make me think if he's sells these for $270/ton I should go for it...eh?

I picked up some of the Rocky Mountain Pellets at my local Tractor Supply they burn great, very few fines, one of the better brands i have burned. I paid 5.99 a bag in CT, I don't know how much a ton was going for, but that sounds like a good deal to me. They say super premium on the bag, only super premium pellet i have ever burned.

HAWL said:
I picked up some of the Rocky Mountain Pellets at my local Tractor Supply they burn great, very few fines, one of the better brands i have burned. I paid 5.99 a bag in CT, I don't know how much a ton was going for, but that sounds like a good deal to me. They say super premium on the bag, only super premium pellet i have ever burned.

If it was the TSC in Barkhamsted?

They are $289/ton

Just fyi
jay

requin said:
Clear bag eh. I wonder if this is the 'mystery pellet' a local dealer here is telling my neighbor is the best pellet EVER, which he is supposedly getting. I just called them (L&L;Fence in Whately) to see what they have. NEWP and Appling @ $270/ton plus delivery. She didn't know the name of the incoming brand or how much it will be. I doubt the mystery brand will be cheaper than the two brands they have on hand.

I hate the idea of paying $270/ton! I think the delivery fee is one flat fee of $50 plus $2/mile to one's home (13 miles, so $26). I'd be splitting that with my neighbor so that's only $38 for delivery, but still....it seems I should be able to get pellets for at MOST $250 ton right now, including delivery I mean. (Pelletsales has them for $250 but their deliver fees bring it right up top $270 ton).

This is annoying.

Amherst Farmers Supply also has rocky mountain pellets, and their delivery price would be less than what you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.