Quality One pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
I went to BT Enterprise in Bristol and they have LOTS of pellets of different brands.....wow..!!!

One guy recommended a pellet brand called "Quality One", bag reads "Premium Grade Wood Pellets", ash content less than 1%, no indication of a company name. The color and smell is VERY similar if not equal to the Greene Team Gold Premium I tried before.

Also recommended a brand called "Napco", also premium hardwood and this one the bag says it is coming from Barrel, MA. The color on this one is much lighter compared to the Quality One (night and day color-wise).

They also have the following brands along with the ones I mentioned above, listed by price :

0.ACP: $235
1.Quality One: $245
2.NEWP: $255
3.Bayou: $255
4.Spruce: $260
5.Dry Creek: $260
6.Napco: $260
7.Corinth: $265
8.Cubex: $285

I was also impressed with them and ended up ordering NEWP. They deliver to all of CT and Southern MA.

I REALLY want to hear about the Quality One brand, it is very similar to the Greene Team Gold Premium in color and smell.

geek said:
I REALLY want to hear about the Quality One brand, it is very similar to the Greene Team Gold Premium in color and smell.

May look & smell the same, but burn a couple of bags if you can to find out. Remember, you usually get what you pay for. If they burn good, that's a great price and I'd jump on it. otherwise, I think $255 for the NEWP would be the way I'd go.....a proven pellet for $10 more.

Just my 2 cents

just started my stove with a bag now, we're running out of time for testing up here in the NE, but hopefully I can burn a bag by the morning....

BTW, this brand has much more fines at the end of the bag..

so nobody has seen or used this brand before?

Well Geek,

Looks like you can be the first to review them for us. I will be getting my pellets from BT this year(best prices I can find). And this maybe one of the brands I might choose. So please rate them for use. I would appreciate it.

With this cooler damp weather we are having here, You should be able to burn a little anyway.

Thank you
Jay

thanks jay, I'm burning a bag right now, so far it seems to be burning just fine, one negative thing I saw is the amount of fines in the bag, there's a lot compared to other brands like the Greene Team Gold.

I will call BT ent. tomorrow and ask them more info on this brand to see who makes them.

I also bought a bag of Napco which I hope to burn tomorrow.

Reactions: fmsm
geek,

Thanks for the info, Not sure I want alot of fines. I might go with the Jaunita's. I burned some last year and they were good. I will try to get a few bags tomorrow after work. Hey for $10.00 more it might be a no brainer.

CTpellet has them for $289/ton and they sold out pretty quick.

I'll let you know what I find. If I can burn some I will give you a temp comparision with the NEWP's there selling. I got some earlier this year. Let me know how the Napco burn if you can get to them.

jay

I will.

Would like to hear feedback on the NEWP they have, just to make sure the batch is good.....$255/ton seems to be very good compared to others in CT, cheapest I saw before was $272 from cjpellets.

Geek,

I got 6 bags of NEWP's in late February, They were had very little fines and had good heat. I have always found the NEWP's to be a good pellet. Above average I would say. They just don't have the awesome heat as some of the others(that's what I want CHEAP). The Green Teams had a little more heat than the NEWP's did.

I will post the temps from the NEWP's and the Juanita's. Along with the Green Teams. Just for comparing them.

jay

thanks jay,

don't know how you'll do it because the weather is changing to very warm soon, but let us know.

As far as the Quality One brand, it seems to be burning with good heat but I noticed flying amber/ash than usual in the fire box; also too many fines ...!!!!

jay, BTW, what was the btu of the NEWP?
I remember a post from you depicting different brands and the heat output in order of highest to lowest.....

geek said:
jay, BTW, what was the btu of the NEWP?
I remember a post from you depicting different brands and the heat output in order of highest to lowest.....

Geek,

Here the old info you asked for.

Barefoot 270°
Turmans 251°
Grn Team 250°
Rocky Mtn 250°
Spruce Pt 248°
Dry Crk 246°
NEWP 245°
Michigan 241°
Premier 241°
Maine WD 230°

You are right it will be warm today and for the next few days. I might not get to test them.

I also found O'Malleys for $255/ton. They maybe what I go with. Boy its nice to have some choices to play with.

jay

Jay,

This is awesome info. I'm going to print this out and keep it. Did you have any other observations regarding these, such as fines, etc? More proof that Barefoot is head and shoulders above the rest.

thanks jay,
I think I'm leaning more to the NEWP, even though the heat output is not as good as the GT, only 5 degrees though; but I know the NEWP doesn't have as much fines as this Quality One, at least.

tried to call BT today but lines are busy, that must be jay buying all they have, lol

here's a pic of the bag inside, too many fines....

Attachments

• Picture 246 small.jpg
    Picture 246 small.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 885
color comparisson between the Napco and the Quality One, look at the color difference, the light pellet is the Napco

Attachments

• Picture 245 small.jpg
    Picture 245 small.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 874
mandkj said:
Jay,

This is awesome info. I'm going to print this out and keep it. Did you have any other observations regarding these, such as fines, etc? More proof that Barefoot is head and shoulders above the rest.

No not really, I only purchased a few bags to get heat outputs from my stove. I didn't pay to much to ash amount. I am mostly looking for the most heat for the buck!

But I can say that there was only one brand that had that many fines in the bag. As what geek found with the Q One's pellets. That would be the Preimers. They had almost 1 cup per bag. Barefoots just a little dust. Turmans were the best with almost no dust at all. Just a little that stuck to the bags.

jay

mnkywrnch said:
here’s a pic of the bag inside, too many fines....

seems like a reasonable amount of fines.

never seen so many before, and also the pellets as very dusty, you can feel this when you grab some in your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.