Qudrafire Classic Bay 1200 Burn Pot Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One T=5 ft, 90=5 ft, 15" vertical =.5, 6 ft vertical =6 ft. 5+5+.5+6=16.5 even by the Quad manual unless I'm not seeing something you are. If you are no more than 4 thousand feet above sea level then you could use 3" according to Quad. However, as stated before if it was working fine before and now is not then the pipe size is most likely not the issue. Like Dexter states just a little difference in air flow can make a big difference. Please keep us posted how you make out.

One T=5ft 90=5ft, 6ft vertical= 3 ft, 15" horizontal = .7 = about 13.7 equivalent feet. Using the quad manual example. The graph they show that at sea level your good to about 26 ft equivalent pipe. Our difference in calculation comes from the 6 ft vertical using a multiplier of .5 according to the quad manual. Im at sea level more or less.

Im not trying to harp on the calculation just wondering if they changed the manual or if Im doing something wrong.

I have talked with my dealer about the issue as Ive had it from day one, they just said I had a dirty stove or to try a different pellet. The stove is clean.

thanks for your help

As for the T/C hole. I used aluminum foil for it also. Any air that you can stop from bypassing the burn pot and force through those holes, the better the burn and longer you can go between cleaning the pot. I literally go about 2 weeks without even looking at it.

How did you get a aluminum foil in there? The sleeve is basically the size of the hole on mine. I thought about putting stove cement in there, as its a obvious leak point. I had to be careful moving the thermocouple because the wire was basically tight in the constricted in the hole though.

One T=5ft 90=5ft, 6ft vertical= 3 ft, 15" horizontal = .7 = about 13.7 equivalent feet. Using the quad manual example. The graph they show that at sea level your good to about 26 ft equivalent pipe. Our difference in calculation comes from the 6 ft vertical using a multiplier of .5 according to the quad manual. Im at sea level more or less.

Im not trying to harp on the calculation just wondering if they changed the manual or if Im doing something wrong.

I have talked with my dealer about the issue as Ive had it from day one, they just said I had a dirty stove or to try a different pellet. The stove is clean.

thanks for your help

Thanks Moey, I could not for the life of me see where I was going wrong on my calculation and it was right in front of me. Had the 6ft as 6 instead of 3 on the vertical rise. My eyes are not what the used to be. I'm glad you posted it as you did. Thank you for clarifying the calculations.

Reactions: moey
I would start with the burn pot gasket if the bolts are already snug like Smokey was talking about. I replaced mine every other year. Green Supreme pellets are real high in ash so I'm sure that does not help. Not enough airflow either by leak or exhaust. If not already done do the dollar bill test on the door gasket,burn pot slid plate is closed and the ash clean out door is closed. The only other gasket is the exhaust blower gasket which might need replacing.
The door is as tight as it's going to get. He has adjusted that. I will have him try the bolts carefully and check those. The only other one to check is the exhaust one.. I hope it's not bad.. It's a brand new stove!!!

How did you get a aluminum foil in there? The sleeve is basically the size of the hole on mine. I thought about putting stove cement in there, as its a obvious leak point. I had to be careful moving the thermocouple because the wire was basically tight in the constricted in the hole though.
My hole was pretty big. About the size of a dime?

If its that small, don't worry about it.. But now I would be checking factory seams. These are screwed together and high temp silicone used to seal. It's possible the stove was made on a Mon or Fri?? There is an obvious air flow problem. With an EVL of less than 15' I would look elsewhere.

If its that small, don't worry about it.. But now I would be checking factory seams. These are screwed together and high temp silicone used to seal. It's possible the stove was made on a Mon or Fri?? There is an obvious air flow problem. With an EVL of less than 15' I would look elsewhere.
EVL ? Exhaust vent ? It goes up 21 ft. If that's what we are talking about.

Well it seems to be burning a bit better since I changed the burn pot gasket and switched pellets now burning PWI rather then Cubex. Ive gone around most the perimeter seams with a match checking for leaks as well as a visual on the inside I dont think there is any. I think the bottom trap door into the ash pan has a terrible seal I can see a gap around most the perimeter of about 1/32 to 1/64 of a inch when lookup up from the ash pan it just doesnt sit very flat . I think I may try and wedge a lytherm gasket underneath the trap door and see what happens, I have some scraps that would fit it.

I did find a seam inside that had what I assume was silicone filing it where the silicone was cracked, but it was packed full of ash if it was leaking I presume it would not have ash in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.