Quest intake hole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2011
shenandoah county
My 93 quest wh-q seems to always have high flame as if on high even when set low. runs us out of the room all the time. I found a square hole below burn grate that I assume is the air intake. Here is a pic. Am i missing something? my old wh2 had a sliding door in this spot.
prllet stove.JPG

Diagram does not show ... I'm judging it is the air intake that is controlled by the damper.
The Quest service manual does show an adjustment to shorten the "off" time of the auger. Perhaps you can reduce feed by turning counter-clockwise...

Post #18 https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/whitfield-quest-service-manual.58745/
thank you. I have looked at doing that but thought i would make sure a piece isnt missing first. I believe the damper controls the exhaust flow not the intake. I been wrong before lol!

Damper is on the exhaust side true but it is before the combustion fan. The combustion fan is what draws air into the firebox through the air inlet. If you limit the volume of air that can be moved by closing the damper, less air will be drawn into the firebox.

On your stove the damper restricts the exhaust flow,different than most stoves.I have not worked on that series stove,but seems like something should be there.Send don a pm,he will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.