Question about 75+ CC saw features in Husqvarna 372XP, Domar PS7900, & Solo 681

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbrickner

Jan 31, 2009
Elkton, MD
Hi folks:

Looking for a high power saw that can take a 28" bar and burn through some 20-24" diameter trees. I have narrowed my list down to the following.

Solo 681
Dolmar 7900
Husqvarna 372XP
I wanted to find out what people who own these saws know about the top features of these as follows:

Which saw is the fastest cutting?

Which saw provides the best constant torque throughout the cut.

Which of the 3 saws has the least vibration and smoothest operation?

Is there any advantage of the Solo 681 over the Dolmar 7900 since they are similar saws with the Solo weighing about 1 lb more?

Will the Solo 681 hold out better in the field than the Domar 7900?

Have people had breakdown issues with any of these?

Have people had bad dealer service with any of these?

What manufacturer of 28" bar do people recommend for these saws?

What style 28" chain do people recommend (standard, semi-skip, full skip)?

Well, I don't have the expertise to answer all your questions, not that there is a definitive answer to each one. As far as I know these are all excellents saws. You mention dealer issues and that might be the major consideration in the end - which one will have good dealer support for you? The importance of this depends on your usage level, your experience and mechanical ability, and the likelihood of requiring service (although they all will need it eventually). I know of no Solo dealers (only Bailey's Woodsman's Supply - online). Dolmar is gaining market share here in the U.S. Husqvarna has been around quite a while, but the 372's future is in question due to EPA regulations.

And be ready to discover that a 28" bar is the more typical long bar recommended for real world use on any of these saws (providing strong pull throughout the cut). Longer bars can be used, but you really can cut from both sides, so a 28" bar would allow you to cut a 56" tree. If this is primarily for felling and bucking a 20" or 24" will probably be better, and the 28" (or 32") used when you need it.

I recommend that you visit the Chainsaw forum over at Arboristsite.com. Use the search feature if need be. All of these saws have been thread subjects over there, and the posters often have real world experience with the saws. Post back here after you've taken the 2 days to read it all!

MarkG

7900. 28" bar. You won't be sorry.

skip chain is great with a 28 in bar

Hmmm, new member I see. ;) Welcome...

First off, the 372xp is only a 70.7cc saw, although Husky does offer a 75cc version (if you can find one).
The 681 is a 7900 with a different carb, an extra cc or two, and AV mounts... but essentially they are the same exact saw. W/o a doubt, the 681/7900 are more powerful than the Husky. The Solo is just a hair faster than the Dolmar version because it has a hair more displacement. The down side to the Solo is it weighs a little more, cost around $100 more, and Solo dealers are very hard to find. Both should be similar in regards to reliability. And all three are very reliable saws.

IMO, the 7900 is by far the best value and bang for the buck of the three.

I personally think the 7900 is the smoothest cutting of the three, but an argument could be made for the 372 as well. Although, I do slightly prefer the way the 372 feels/handles.

Bar brand? Go with what you know or like. I personally think Cannon makes the best bars on the market, but they are pricey. Stihl would be my second choice. The rest are just about equal IMO. I usually shop on price since I have so many saws and rarely will I wear a bar down.

With the 681/7900, I'd run full comp on a 28" bar or possibly semi skip chain if the bar will always be buried in equal sized wood. I'd use skip on the same sized bar with the 372. I would assume you wouldn't leave a 28" bar on any of these saws for daily cutting, they will be nose heavy. I'd run a 20" unless I needed the extra length.

Thanks folks:

I have some decisions to make. I think I'll end up with the Dolmar 7900 due to the weight and service in the area. You folks are right that I'll be using a 20" bar for standard use and the 28" bar for large occasional cuts.

I appericate your comments on the Dolmar smoothness of cut. I cut a lot of wood and wanted something that won't wear out my wrist. I also appriciate the comments on the chain style for the 28".

Thanks again for helping me to make a better educated decision.

I'll see if I can run a 372 & 7900 to get the feel for it. If the Domar doesn't feel that bad I'll go with it.

Thanks again,
Tom

7900 all the way, I have two and they have cut alot of wood for me with little problems.

Scott

I have a 7900 with a 24 inch bar and I used it on 24-25 inch oak and it cut like butter. Best feeling saw I have ever owned next to my 5100 with a 18 inch bar.

Shipper

I recommend that you visit the Chainsaw forum over at Arboristsite.com. Use the search feature if need be. All of these saws have been thread subjects over there, and the posters often have real world experience with the saws. Post back here after you’ve taken the 2 days to read it all!

I couldn't agree more - folks here have given me invaluable advice regarding saw selection and fit for use (my specs). Arboristsite has a veritable treasure trove of knowledge all from very experienced professionals. It will take a good bit of time to read it all but you'll be glad you did.

Any of the saws you have mentioned will get the job done. I'd run a 20 or 24 inch bar with a full chisel chain.

I'd highly recommend Safety gear when operating any chainsaw.

Any saw can hurt you or even kill you,but those are some pretty powerful saws you have listed lots of mid to high end power.

I have and love my 7900, but I use a 20" bar on it 99% of the time, I just break out the 28" when I get my hands on a "monster log". With the 20" bar, I feel like it's a good thing the engine is noisy because at speed the noise is the only way to tell it's running - we are talking SMOOTH... At idle it's a little bumpier, sort of like the "Rumpa Rumpa" feel you get from a big V-8, nothing to be bothered by. The balance is excellent with the 20" bar, just about evenly centered around the wrap bar. As one would expect, it's nose heavy with the 28"

For the bars, I'm running an OEM Dolmar bar for the 20", (looks like an Oregon bar with a paint job) and an Oregon Powermatch replaceable tip on the 28", and Oregon round ground, full chisel / full comp chains on both bars. No complaints, but I haven't tried any others on it, so I can't really say if they are better or worse than some other choice.

Gooserider

Thanks for the Info.

I just stoped by my Dolmar dealer this weekend and got a feel for the weight. It seems like a pretty well ballanced saw with a 20" bar. I am definitely going to get it with a 20 inch bar for normal cutting and a 28" bar for the bigger trees here and there. I am glad to hear that is seems to be a low vibration smooth running saw. That is exactly what I am looking for along with decent service. I was lucky to find a good dealer close by to where I live.

Thanks again for the well detailed comment on runing the 7900 saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.