Question about a old fisher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAsh

Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2009
Louisville KY
Hey people.

I bought my house about 3 years ago and it came with this wood burning stove in the unfinished basement. I never used it or thought much about it until a ice storm knocked out our power for 4 days last winter. My plan was simple, I have this stove in the basement, i'll just pack up the family and move down there for a few days. Within 3 hours we were rushing back up the stairs dripping in sweat. My entire house was 86 degrees. I fell in love with that damn stove. I even cooked on it, and not just some can of soup in a pot. I made eggs, bacon, and potatoes, and fried burgers.

This year I am not even using my reg heater for my home. I'm heating all winter with wood. Yesterday I drove to a friends house in the country and busted up 7 ricks of white oak. I also got 3 ricks of maple, and 4 other downed trees I can go bust up if I have to. I have been searching the internet all night looking for info on how to get the most out of my stove. I've found a million great ideas. For the first time in my life i'm excited about winter.

But I have a few questions that I have not been able to find a answer to. My stove is a old fisher. According to what I have read they are not made any longer and are no where near as efficient as newer models. I plan on buying a newer model next year when I finish the basement because as much as I love the fisher it's freaking ugly to look at. My question is do any of you have any info on my fisher? I can't find a pic of it anywhere so I don't even know what model it is. All I know is that it's a fisher and it was made in the late 70s early 80s.

Heres 2 pics of it.
Thanks in advance for any info people. I love the forum, I'm thrilled I found it. I look forward to posting here.

288npdf.jpg

111o7yb.jpg

There is a posting of the book the Fisher story It's a sticky at the top of this forum, it's interesting reading.
A download for a manual and a sales brochure for a Fisher stove is here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Fisher_Stoves/

I have a Fisher Grandma bear in the basement, I updated my stove with a insulated baffle and secondary air tubes.
see post # 6 http:http: //www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/17993/

Your stove looks like it has glass doors ( the pics are small, perhaps you could post bigger pics) I did not know Fisher made stoves with glass doors. These stoves will make a lot of heat but also consume a lot of wood. Good luck with your stove.

Sounds like you have a great start on next years wood!

Have you looked on the back of the stove for a UL or inspection tag? I'm wondering if this is not a Fisher stove. It's hard to tell from the tiny pictures, but usually they didn't have glass and the name Fisher was clearly cast into the door.

I can't figure out how to make the pics bigger. I'll get my friend to do it tonight. It is a Fisher though. It has the name fisher in the lower right hand corner. Its engraved into the cast iron, real big. I'll post some better pics tonight.

RedAsh said:
I can't figure out how to make the pics bigger. I'll get my friend to do it tonight. It is a Fisher though. It has the name fisher in the lower right hand corner. Its engraved into the cast iron, real big. I'll post some better pics tonight.

if you have a photobucket account or similar you can use the link from it being uploaded there and put it's url in between
tags.

pen

RedAsh said:
Hey people.

I bought my house about 3 years ago and it came with this wood burning stove in the unfinished basement. I never used it or thought much about it until a ice storm knocked out our power for 4 days last winter. My plan was simple, I have this stove in the basement, i'll just pack up the family and move down there for a few days. Within 3 hours we were rushing back up the stairs dripping in sweat. My entire house was 86 degrees. I fell in love with that damn stove. I even cooked on it, and not just some can of soup in a pot. I made eggs, bacon, and potatoes, and fried burgers.

This year I am not even using my reg heater for my home. I'm heating all winter with wood. Yesterday I drove to a friends house in the country and busted up 7 ricks of white oak. I also got 3 ricks of maple, and 4 other downed trees I can go bust up if I have to. I have been searching the internet all night looking for info on how to get the most out of my stove. I've found a million great ideas. For the first time in my life i'm excited about winter.

But I have a few questions that I have not been able to find a answer to. My stove is a old fisher. According to what I have read they are not made any longer and are no where near as efficient as newer models. I plan on buying a newer model next year when I finish the basement because as much as I love the fisher it's freaking ugly to look at. My question is do any of you have any info on my fisher? I can't find a pic of it anywhere so I don't even know what model it is. All I know is that it's a fisher and it was made in the late 70s early 80s.

Heres 2 pics of it.
Thanks in advance for any info people. I love the forum, I'm thrilled I found it. I look forward to posting here.

288npdf.jpg

111o7yb.jpg

Nope.

Nothing like an ice storm to make you fall in love with a wood stove!

Lots of folks in New England still swear by their old Fishers. I wonder if the glass doors were original or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.