Question about air flow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Newton

Burning Hunk
Apr 4, 2012
Beavercreek, Ohio
I have read all the threads about moving air, fans directed at the stove, etc. But I have a question about the location of register vents for cold air return to the basement. My set up is a large ranch home on a full basement. The stove is in the unfinished basement. The heat moves up the stairwell fairly well. But I want to install a cold air register to allow cold air to be drawn into the basement. I live in the country so I don't have any regulations on fusible link registers, etc.

Where should the register go. In the coldest bedroom that we only use two to three times a year. Or should it go in the master bedroom, where it's fairly warm, where we sleep every night? Keeping in mind that the idea is to even up the heat thru-out the house not just the bedrooms. I can't really place the register in the living room since that is located over a basement garage. This is just a start, I may end up with registers in all the bedrooms.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or ideas.

Here is a pic.

Simple representation but it works for me.

I have a vent above the stove also.

Fan on low blowing down into the basement will slowly pull air towards the other end of the house.

My house is like this drawing , stair well at one end and a hall way that leads to bed rooms at the other end.

My house is very well insulated and energy efficient windows.

Air Flow.jpg

Here is the small fan (9" or 12") I use, these type work very well, on low you cant even hear them.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 86
Here is the small fan (9" or 12") I use, these type work very well, on low you cant even hear them.

HuntinDog, do you just have one vent back in the bedroom area?

I have one vent that was left from taking my duct work out from my old wood furnace. I turn the fan facing down blowing the air down into the basement that then helps pull air up into the house from the stair well and the other vent that is above my free standing stove. My vent above the stove was in the house when I moved there, some people that live in areas that are more populated have building codes that prohibit this type vent above stove.

If you get a quantity of air flow down that way it will better heat that end of the house but its not gonna make all rooms the same temp.

My bed rooms are approx 2 degrees cooler keep in mind my house is very well insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.