Question about ALB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newburner

Burning Hunk
Aug 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I've read a lot of the back posts about the ALB. Most of what search brought up was from 2009-2011. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find an answer to my question so please forgive me if its right in front of my face.

My question is, if I find the ALB in my wood stacks, am I at risk of having my wood confiscated? I looked at the Mass ALB website and it states that homeowners can use wood cut from their property as firewood but then goes on to say that if the beetle is found in wood stacks that the state will dispose of it and it should not be used as firewood.

I am not in the quarantined zone but I found these guys in my stacks recently. The first is a longhorned beetle (not Asian) and the second is the whitespotted sawyer.

uploadfromtaptalk1410867629961.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1410867652172.jpg

The presence of these two beetles has me worried that the ALB is close behind. I spent a lot of money on wood over the last few months and our stove will be our primary (only) heat source this year. I can't afford to start over if my wood is confiscated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the excerpt from the Mass website. The last sentence is what I'm referring to..

" Homeowners may use wood from trees cut on their property as firewood. Wood from host trees must be inspected for signs of ALB infestation. Contact the Regulatory Desk at the ALB Program Office if signs are found at (508) 852-8090. All infested wood will be disposed of by Program Officials and should not be kept for use as firewood."

Unless you have firewood police coming by doing random searches while you aren't home, I can't see how you'd have an issue with them taking your wood

Reactions: Ashful
Well that was my thought as well however I always like to try to "do the right thing".

In this case I'm not sure I would want to risk losing money and the heat for my family.

It would be a moral dilemma I guess. I would like to think I would do the right thing by reporting it but if it meant a considerable financial loss and a freezing house, I'm not so sure. That's why I'm seeking clarification.

If I had ALB I would get the wood destroyed. Its the only to contain the spread of it. Especially if you imported the firewood, as in it didn't grow in your yard.

Destroy the wood in your stove. One stove load at a time as needed. We are coming into the cold season. Bugs ain't moving much. If there was an issue, its already too late, might as well use the wood.

A wood stove seems like as good a way to get rid of it as any way the gov would use :ZZZ

Edit: Joful beat me to it

I think the paragraph following the one you posted clarifies the policy quite nicely:

"All firewood inside the regulated area is restricted and cannot be taken out regardless of species. Both host and non host trees that have been processed into firewood may be sold to other residents for use inside the regulated area. Wood from sources outside the regulated area is allowed to be brought in, however once inside this wood must also remain for the use only within the regulated area. Anyone selling firewood must attend a Compliance Training Session and sign a compliance agreement with the ALB Program."
http://www.worcesterma.gov/city-manager/asian-longhorned-beetles

Your firewood may be in danger to be confiscated if you are outside the regulated zone and bought it from someone inside. Other than that, your stacks should be safe.

I think the paragraph following the one you posted clarifies the policy quite nicely:

"All firewood inside the regulated area is restricted and cannot be taken out regardless of species. Both host and non host trees that have been processed into firewood may be sold to other residents for use inside the regulated area. Wood from sources outside the regulated area is allowed to be brought in, however once inside this wood must also remain for the use only within the regulated area. Anyone selling firewood must attend a Compliance Training Session and sign a compliance agreement with the ALB Program."
http://www.worcesterma.gov/city-manager/asian-longhorned-beetles

Your firewood may be in danger to be confiscated if you are outside the regulated zone and bought it from someone inside. Other than that, your stacks should be safe.

I wonder how much participation they have in that program...

That's what i was hoping. For some reason that isn't clear to me based on the info you posted.

But then again, I've been known to look right past the obvious.

That's what i was hoping. For some reason that isn't clear to me based on the info you posted.

But then again, I've been known to look right past the obvious.

I think you're worrying about nothing. Burning the wood is the best thing that can be done with it. That's likely what they would do with it if they took it, which would only occur if you let someone on your property to look at your stacks (don't do that). Of course, this all assumes that there is an area firewood inspector of some sort anyways which I highly doubt

Destroy the wood in your stove. One stove load at a time as needed. We are coming into the cold season. Bugs ain't moving much. If there was an issue, its already too late, might as well use the wood.

This is another "Burn them" answer, right? :) ;)

Reactions: firefighterjake
I live in a double quarantine Township for ALB and EAB that is active. the ODA (ohio department of agriculture) has checked our wood pile numerous times for ALB. Never have found anything in our piles. But we do have one farm we are not allowed to take a stick of firewood off of because it is in they double quarantine zone. We can take logs but they have to be checked by ODA first. Every single long one at a time. It's a pain. It's all messed up.

I live in a double quarantine Township for ALB and EAB that is active. the ODA (ohio department of agriculture) has checked our wood pile numerous times for ALB. Never have found anything in our piles. But we do have one farm we are not allowed to take a stick of firewood off of because it is in they double quarantine zone. We can take logs but they have to be checked by ODA first. Every single long one at a time. It's a pain. It's all messed up.

Out of curiosity, how does that work? Is it law enforcement that comes by, or the area forester or something? Do they just knock on the door and ask to take a look?

Out of curiosity, how does that work? Is it law enforcement that comes by, or the area forester or something? Do they just knock on the door and ask to take a look?

It's the ODA. They have a badge and authority. The have stopped in and just started looking through our giant pile of stacked wood we have for the main shop. They setup a office about 10 miles down the street at a stripmall store front. One guy had some trees that were over 100 years old around his house. Told him if they didn't allow them to cut the trees the sheriff would remove him from his property and bring him back after work was done. They took trees down and planted him back 6ft trees. It was sad. We farm 2500 acres total and about 1000 of it in this specific township. So we deal with them a lot. Some places they have just clear cut the maple trees.

It's the ODA. They have a badge and authority. The have stopped in and just started looking through our giant pile of stacked wood we have for the main shop. They setup a office about 10 miles down the street at a stripmall store front. One guy had some trees that were over 100 years old around his house. Told him if they didn't allow them to cut the trees the sheriff would remove him from his property and bring him back after work was done. They took trees down and planted him back 6ft trees. It was sad. We farm 2500 acres total and about 1000 of it in this specific township. So we deal with them a lot. Some places they have just clear cut the maple trees.

Sounds like a great group of people to deal with :rolleyes:. Gotta love government coercion and strong-arming on your own property. Id have a thing or two to say to them if they started poking around my property without my consent

Sounds like a great group of people to deal with :rolleyes:. Gotta love government coercion and strong-arming on your own property. Id have a thing or two to say to them if they started poking around my property without my consent

Trust me we have had numerous heated conversatations with them. Luckily they know us enough now to come ask first

Heated conversations with Gov. agency officials is putting it very mildly. An erupting volcano is not containable. I have no tolerance left for city slicker desk jockies nor their field minions.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN

I'm curious what county you're in (and sheriff)? I'm in Clermont County, and have heard of a few bad story's like this over by Bethel.

I'm curious what county you're in (and sheriff)? I'm in Clermont County, and have heard of a few bad story's like this over by Bethel.

I live 3 miles south of Bethel in Clermont county lol.

Reactions: bassJAM

Tyler, please don't tell me some infernal bug is coming for my Sugar Maples. They're the only thing I have left. Been planting oaks, but none mature yet. Don't mean to hijack the OP's thread.

Reactions: Tyler
Status
Not open for further replies.