Question about ash build-up in Harman Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thesyguy

Mar 25, 2008
Southeastern Mass
I had a Harman Accentra Insert intalled last week and am unsure if I am having a problem with ash build-up or if this is normal. The pictures below are less than 24 hours after a cleaning.

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Is this amount of ash after less than 24 hrs normal? I was burning Ambiance pellets given to my by the store I bought the insert from. After 3 bags, I switched to Nature's Own Fuel pellets I purchased at Lowes. The ash amount was the same with both brands. Any help would be appreciated.

Vinny

Looks pretty normal to me.

It's been a little warmer lately so your stove is probably burning at a lower rate. If you crank up the temp, the increased burn rate should push the ashes out quicker.

I was getting the same ash buildup with some brands of pellets, but Natures Own from Lowes seemed one of the better brands. There was one brand I bought last year that did the same thing and this much buildup would happen within a couple of hours, almost exhausting the flame. As some of the others said - try running at a higher temp and rate and see if the same happens.

I have the same insert....and if your stove is burning on lo settings than this is to be expected. The Ambience pellets are a good quality brand that I have burned before without incident.
You should just open the door and scrape them out. They will fall easily. I think it has something to do with the burn rate being too low and the new pellets aren't coming out with enough frequency to push the old ash out.
Don't worry be happy.

Thanks for all the replies. I do have the rate running low. If I crank it up any more I will roast! I will just clean it daily for now and not worry about it!

thesyguy said:
I had a Harman Accentra Insert intalled last week and am unsure if I am having a problem with ash build-up or if this is normal.

Is this amount of ash after less than 24 hrs normal? I was burning Ambiance pellets given to my by the store I bought the insert from. After 3 bags, I switched to Nature's Own Fuel pellets I purchased at Lowes. The ash amount was the same with both brands. Any help would be appreciated.

Vinny

That amount of ash in the burn pot seems excessive to me, but Accentra owners have responded otherwise. I burn a different Harman (P68), but they basically work the same.

As SparkyDog said, I think your rate may be low. Also, are you running on Manual/Room Temp? If you are running on manual, I could see more ash building up on warm days because the stove stays lit with very little pellets going into the burn pot. In Auto Mode, the stove would turn off when it was warmer, and probably run longer with pellets going in faster when it turns back on, there by pushing out more ash.

Be sure to scrape the burnpot peridocially to keep all the holes
clear of clinkers. Running on low will clog them up fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.