Question about basement install.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdawg

Nov 3, 2011
Central, MA
Hi guys. I'm thinking of putting a third stove down in the basement and was thinking about using the window to vent out, kind of like the one in the picture in the listing below. Just click on the listing and you'll see what they did.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/for/3250329393.html

The biggest difference will be I'm planning to take out the glass portion of the window and creating a wall in front of it. I'll frame around it and put up sheetrock and I'll probably leave an opening big enough for the pipe to go through. Is this something that's considered acceptable? I wanted to save myself some work and not have to cut through the foundation of the house to vent the pipes. I also didn't want to go through the ceiling/floor. What do you guys think? Yay or nay?? Pros and cons? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I do not know of any installation that allows for the stove pipe to be within a certain number of feet from a window or door. If the 'window' was removed and it was built in so it was in no way shape or form a window then I think it would be ok. I would research installation guidelines and manuals and actually discuss your idea with whoever you deal with on codes if you have any. You are going to need a 'T' in the window well and probably a 4 way or T above the stove along with a T or 4 way out of the stove. If leaves are allowed to pile up in that window well it could be a problem. I would box in a corner of a room upstairs and go through the roof before I did what you are discussing.

I am just throwing an idea out but I wonder about going through the floor into say the corner of the living room and and turning it out that wall and boxing it in and building a table or something on top of it that can be permanent or built so it could be removed to help clean the pipe. In a closet corner going up through the roof or out the wall so its out of sight?

If you remove the window, Box it in and use the proper items(thimble, Pellet venting yadda yadda). I see no issues. Just makes sure you are above the snow average depth for the season in your area. Note all the 90º in the venting? There should only be 2. I count 3 and p[ossible 4 if there is a tee at the stove connection. In other words watch the EVL.

I have seen a window installs where the window was made inoperable and sealed shut. Owner had it inspected and it actually passed. I'm pretty sure if the end cap was raised above the window to meet minimum clearance issues this install might pass as well?

basement window install.jpg
Picture posted so others can see when the CL add is removed!

I do not know of any installation that allows for the stove pipe to be within a certain number of feet from a window or door. If the 'window' was removed and it was built in so it was in no way shape or form a window then I think it would be ok. I would research installation guidelines and manuals and actually discuss your idea with whoever you deal with on codes if you have any. You are going to need a 'T' in the window well and probably a 4 way or T above the stove along with a T or 4 way out of the stove. If leaves are allowed to pile up in that window well it could be a problem. I would box in a corner of a room upstairs and go through the roof before I did what you are discussing.

I am just throwing an idea out but I wonder about going through the floor into say the corner of the living room and and turning it out that wall and boxing it in and building a table or something on top of it that can be permanent or built so it could be removed to help clean the pipe. In a closet corner going up through the roof or out the wall so its out of sight?

Its exceptable for the piping as long as its thru the proper thimble. The issue in that install is the vent outlet is too close to the window. If the piping was extended away from the minimum clearance. It could pass inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.