Question about Buck Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
Well, instead of shopping online and reading in here, I decided to go to a local stove dealer. He sells Buck stoves. I wasn't very impressed with his knowledge. He even told me that he didn't heat with wood. Now this is a mom and pop hardware store too, so I know stoves are a really big deal to him. Anyway, the first thing that struck me as odd was how he said the units can be stoves or inserts. You just take the legs off of them. I read in Buck's brochure and they say the same thing. Why haven't I heard about this being done with any other stove brands? I am impressed with the firebox size of their stoves. Can anybody give me there opinion on Buck Stoves, since I don't believe I have ever heard them mentioned on here.

You're right, we don't see many Buck stoves here. Which model are you looking at? What's the ultimate goal for the stove - room heater or whole house? Insert or free-standing? What's the budget?

As to the stove shop, it sounds like you might benefit from visiting a few others before making a decision. It doesn't sound like you are going to get a lot of help from the local store.

I happen to live where Buck Stoves orriginated. They are now in Spruce Pine, NC which is about 45 minutes away.

Buck Stove and Appalachian stove are manufacturers from here in Western North Carolina. They are still each others main competition.

As far as their stove being both inserts and free standing models, that is true. Back in the late 70s and 80s when everyone was making stoves in their garages it was common to just slap a crudely made pedestal and transition atop a steel insert and call it a stove. The problem with Buck and Appalachian is that these guys never evolved from that. The legs got nicer and more sculpted to look like legs and the stove opening was made round to eliminate the transition but you still have an insert with legs bolted on. Not nearly as finished as it could be. As for the brands, they are mid-level I often hear performance woes on catalytic models.

It is my opinion that both companies banked on the vent-free gas craze of the 90s and failed at wood innovation which will likely prove to be a mistake that could cost them in coming years. If you look at their offerings you will notice a huge variety in vent-free (lung vented) gas appliances and log sets.

I also noticed the non-cat stoves are at 6.2 gph. Englander stoves are made in the same region. They have much cleaner burning, affordable stoves. I'd give them a look too.

I wasn't impressed at all by them. The only thing I liked was the huge firebox. I think I'll call this guy back and see if I can still get the Napoleon 1402 for $1300.00. It has a 2.25 cubic foot box. That should be enough I hope.

The Napoleon has a good reputation. In the midrange size you might also take a look at is the Quadrafire 4100i and the Lopi Revere if they're sold in your area.

How big a space are you trying to heat?

The house is about 2200 square feet and I would love to be able to heat all of it, but I will really be happy with heating the common areas which comprise about 1500 square feet. It doesn't get really cold here, rarely below 20 at night and usually in the 30s-40s during the day. We do have a few days where it gets into the teens at night. In a different post I put the layout of my house on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.