Question about bucking and felling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't people allowed to give advice here? Personnally, when I ask a question, I hate to hear "call a pro" or "stay away". I want to hear how others have done it so I can judge for myself whether or not I can do the work. This man is responsible for himself and hopefully is able to make an informed decision about his skill level and ability. Now, having said all of that, words of caution should always accompany that advice. In this case, there may be a way to bring this tree down with a saw. It is dangerous. It requires understanding the forces involved in bringing it down. I've done it and I'm sure many on here have done it as well. It works by cutting a little of the tree and letting the tree fall to the ground. Known as fence-posting. VERY dangerous and not my prefered method to bring a tree down. My problem is that if I put the tree there, I don't want to leave the hazard in place. People use the woods I cut in, so I don't leave these in place often.

You are better off pulling the hazard out with equipment. Unless I can't get my truck in to it, this is how I handle these situations.

Mike PA said:
Aren't people allowed to give advice here? Personnally, when I ask a question, I hate to hear "call a pro" or "stay away". I want to hear how others have done it so I can judge for myself whether or not I can do the work. This man is responsible for himself and hopefully is able to make an informed decision about his skill level and ability. Now, having said all of that, words of caution should always accompany that advice. In this case, there may be a way to bring this tree down with a saw. It is dangerous. It requires understanding the forces involved in bringing it down. I've done it and I'm sure many on here have done it as well. It works by cutting a little of the tree and letting the tree fall to the ground. Known as fence-posting. VERY dangerous and not my prefered method to bring a tree down. My problem is that if I put the tree there, I don't want to leave the hazard in place. People use the woods I cut in, so I don't leave these in place often.

You are better off pulling the hazard out with equipment. Unless I can't get my truck in to it, this is how I handle these situations.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49909/

quads said:
oldspark said:
Quads said to not cut the tree HOLDING the leaner up which is very good advice also, I do not like giving advice about cutting trees on the forum either and I found myself almost doing it early in this post, I am glad kenny made a big deal out of it, serves as a good reminder how dangerous cutting wood is. I consider myself lucky as I learned by doing and that does not always work well working with a chainsaw.
I never give advice about HOW TO cut trees. But occasionally I will advise HOW NOT TO.

I did not give any advice on how to cut any tree of any kind. It just scared me a little to read that he was considering cutting the tree that is holding the leaner up as an option! I only said NOT TO.

If Kenny read something else into my response, hmmm, oh well.............sue me! HAHA!
Not speaking for kenny (nobody needs to do that he has a mind of his own :lol: ) but I think he was pointing out the person misread your post. I think telling people what not to do is a good idea.

Mike PA said:

I have cut standing trees for a long time and continue to do so as they are in my way on my acreage but I do not feel comfortable giving advice to some one you have no idea how familar they are with the knowledge it takes to be safe. I have given advice in the past to people who I thought they knew what they were doing only to find out later the best advice would have been to leave it alone.

oldspark said:
Not speaking for kenny (nobody needs to do that he has a mind of his own :lol: ) but I think he was pointing out the person misread your post. I think telling people what not to do is a good idea.[/quote]

Obviously I'm the only one on here with half a brain. :lol:

oldspark said:
Mike PA said:

I have cut standing trees for a long time and continue to do so as they are in my way on my acreage but I do not feel comfortable giving advice to some one you have no idea how familar they are with the knowledge it takes to be safe. I have given advice in the past to people who I thought they knew what they were doing only to find out later the best advice would have been to leave it alone.

I agree that giving advice can be difficult on the internet. I guess my thoughts are that I am philosophically opposed to me deciding what is best for someone else to hear. I believe people are responsible for their own actions and that they should be able to assess their own abilities and limitations without me deciding what is best for them. Words of caution should always accompany the advice and telling them what they should not do, and why, are very important.

quads said:
Mike PA said:

Great pictures and example!

Mike PA said:
quads said:
Mike PA said:

Great pictures and example!
Thanks!

kenny chaos said:
Obviously I'm the only one on here with half a brain. :lol:
HAHA! Obviously! Where are the moderators? ;-)

Right here. And closing this one. It has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.