Question about burning ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
If I have 8" exhaust coming out of my wood burning furnace, can the pipe be reduced to 6" somewhere along the line ? Thanks in advance

I would ask this question in the Hearth Room, you will get better answers there but my instinct says no. 8" out should stay 8" to the top. 8 to 6 is a big reduction in cubic inches.

I would ask this question in the Hearth Room, you will get better answers there but my instinct says no. 8" out should stay 8" to the top. 8 to 6 is a big reduction in cubic inches.

I agree - everything I've heard and read says not to reduce the opening at any point.

I would agree it is best not to reduce but if you have to for some reason, I would do it right at the stove. While researching inserts to replace mine I have seen some stove makers offering adapters for 8 to 6 that fit right on the stove.

Some have done it. I wouldn't.

It is not "best practices". One thing that can counter act that though is a very tall stack. Sometimes the reduction in area can be compensated by the extra draft created by a tall stack. I wouldn't do it, if there wasn't a truly compelling reason.

If I have 8" exhaust coming out of my wood burning furnace, can the pipe be reduced to 6" somewhere along the line ? Thanks in advance

I did in on my lopi smoke dragon out in the shop, the stove has an 8" flue exit on the top, I reduced it to 6" right on top of the stove, the flue still draws like a son of a gun and could actually still use a flue damper.
Are you just now installing the wood burning furnace?

Status
Not open for further replies.