Question about chain stretch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heus

Jan 15, 2009
NE Ohio
Should there be any noticeable free play between links in a chainsaw chain? I have a Husqvarna 455 rancher and none of my chains will tighten up enough. I replaced the sprocket and this didnt help. When I wiggle individual links I am able to observe significant free play, like the holes are worn way too large. I also suspect that my bar may be warn as well.

Should there be any noticeable free play between links in a chainsaw chain? I have a Husqvarna 455 rancher and none of my chains will tighten up enough. I replaced the sprocket and this didnt help. When I wiggle individual links I am able to observe significant free play, like the holes are worn way too large. I also suspect that my bar may be warn as well.
No, there should be a slight amount of freedom, you do not want it too tight. I lift the chain and expect to feel a little play, like 1/4 to 1/2 inch, it is a feel thing. But you should be able to tighten the chain to where it is tight. A Huskee is different than Stihl, but on my Huskee it is underneath the chain, loosen the nuts and tighten. Make sure the pin is in the hole on the bar, if not it will never tighten, otherwise it sounds like something wrong with your adjustment. I cannot imagine all of the chains being long.

I can way overtighten my chains (all 4 of them).

12 cord of Wood!! HOLY CHIT!! Where abouts in NEO are you located? I am right at the corner of Medina, Lorain, and Ashland Counties (I can make any of the counties in 2 miles).

Should be almost zero movement from the tiestrap rivets except for rotational. They should ratate freely and that is it. Sounds to me like the saw oiler isn't working at all or at the very least, inadequately.

Reactions: jeff_t
No, there should be a slight amount of freedom, you do not want it too tight. I lift the chain and expect to feel a little play, like 1/4 to 1/2 inch, it is a feel thing. But you should be able to tighten the chain to where it is tight. A Huskee is different than Stihl, but on my Huskee it is underneath the chain, loosen the nuts and tighten. Make sure the pin is in the hole on the bar, if not it will never tighten, otherwise it sounds like something wrong with your adjustment. I cannot imagine all of the chains being long.

Thanks but not talking about tightness to the bar.

Ditto what MM said. If there's that much wallowing of the links around the rivets, your oiler must not be working correctly. Normally, you'd run out of teeth on the chain before you see any observable wallowing of the rivet holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.