Question about cherry and sycamore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I was eyeing a downed hickory tree but the owner said she was going to keep it. This was going to round out my wood being split and seasoned for next year. I know of a tall cherry tree I am sure I can get but wondering if cherry is a wood for filling a firebox or just to add a piece here and there? It's a big tree (for a cherry) so will be a large portion of next year's wood. Should I put the time into the cherry or go find something better?

Sycamore - I don't see sycamore listed on the "btu" list recently posted. I split up a dozen or so logs and wondering how good a wood it is, comparatively speaking? It is unseasoned right now but seems like it might end up being a fairly light wood.

Sycamore is probably on the same order as poplar. It is a pretty light wood. It burns just fine, but produces a lot of coals.

I burned about a cord total of it this season, and there's nothing wrong with it. There are better woods out there in terms of BTU, but nothing should stop you from burning sycamore if you have it available.

Cherry is a medium grade hardwood. I burn a lot of it, little better than birch, pleasent arroma and decent to burn
not too bad to split if straight grain.

People keep commenting on the aroma of various woods (cherry, cedar, others) but I never catch a whiff when I burn cedar. Are you burning with your door open? All my smoke gets vented up the chimney....how are you guys savoring the smell of aromatic woods?

down wind outside

BTW explain that fish I see you holding

Ahhh, outside....that explains it.

Thats a catfish, Elk. We grow them big around here.

easy way to smell it indoors

open the door to your stove real fast about 2 minutes after loading it:)

works every time

open the door to your stove real fast about 2 minutes after loading itsmile

works every time

My wife ususlly pipes up I smell smoke, then you get the look, daggers in the eyes. Next thing you know I am reminded about dusting.

MSG I offered to send some cherry your way chain saw cuttings chunks for grilling let me know before I burn it all

I would take you up on your offer, i dont think shipping would be cost effective LOL. I should just get a semi and a flat bed trailer and head out east for all these exotic woods that you guys burn. Im going to have to work a little harder this year to get enough wood. I am one of those guys thats waits untill august to start getting ready. I have plenty of dry wood but its in the standing dead position.

Status
Not open for further replies.