Q&A Question about chimney pipe going through side wall of house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My wood stove was installed and the whole cut through the side of my house is bigger than the chimney pipe. I can see a clearing of approximately 1/8" all around the hole. Is there a material I can use to plug this up as it lets in quite a draft.

Answer:

Silicone caulk is rated for temperatures that you are unlikely to reach around the perimeter of a double or triple wall pipe...however, I think these spaces are sometimes built in to help the pipe stay cooler. It might be wise only to seal the inside, and let the outside breathe...or call the manufacturer of the chimney to inquire about sealing this space.

Status
Not open for further replies.