Question about cleaning stove with leaf blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Csst

Dec 26, 2010
Haverhill Mass
mass
I know a while back there was some instructions on how to clean your pellet stove with a leaf blower? Can someone tell me what's the best blower to use to do this?

There are many different makes/models to choose from. In general, you want a blower/vac with the highest air volume you can afford. More volume = more suction through the stove.

I have read of members getting Troy Bilt models that have ratings of 240 mph and 450 cfm’s that work well.

As Tim the Toolman on Home Improvement used to say, "More power!!" :lol:

Kinda been wanting to ask that myself. Mostly which ones are the easiest to adapt to the pipe?

I own a Troy Built as imacman stated. Its 450 CFM. Sucks the Ash out of the Pan.. Love it. I had to cut the Vacuum section that came with it and add a PVC reducer. You can see in the pic how I cut it and you can see the White PVC sticking out. Depending on if you have 3" or 4" will depend on your fitting. (Also different pipe Manf will have different flue O.D. sizes.

I have Pavers in front of mine to hold it up. I tape the end to the flue and turn it on. When I clean the stove, its on the entire time. Has 6 different speed settings. I will not go without one now. Makes life easy.

Attachments

• Ash Destroyer.jpg
    Ash Destroyer.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 668
Just make sure you use the SUCTION side of things. It's not a pretty sight if you blow into the stove pipe!

Thanks so much guys I kinda want to get one that I don't have to cut it I'm not the most handy person I can see myself screwing it up.. lol any other one that I won't have to cut it can just attach it and turn it on.. lol

Do you know where to get the parts and what Excactly I need to get is there any utube videovideo or instructions on how to do it

What size Pellet Vent do you have 3" or 4". I could have gotten away with just cutting mine down further, but I wanted the tightest fit possible. Now that I use the Tape to hold it to the flue, I could have left it a little loose and sloppy. Need more info on what you got before you can get a suggestion. If its a little loose, it will still work (Lil less suction) or you can tape it.

Also on a quick note can anyone point me in the right direction to get one of these leaf blowers i really want to pick one up, tomorrow im off from work and would like to work on this i have a lowels right near me but wasn't sure if they will sell them. Thanks guys for your help.

Csst said:
Also on a quick note can anyone point me in the right direction to get one of these leaf blowers i really want to pick one up, tomorrow im off from work and would like to work on this i have a lowels right near me but wasn't sure if they will sell them. Thanks guys for your help.

Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, any hardware store.....maybe even WalMart.

Sorry for all the ququestions bit is there a certain model is need to get

Status
Not open for further replies.