1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Question about connecting stove to existing flue.

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Arithian, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arithian

Arithian New Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    I had my flue cleaned and inspected the other day in the house I bought a few months back. I have a pretty much brand new 8" flue system, I'm looking at an Englander, probably the new cpm model. My question is, do I just need a thimble and reducer to connect the 3" pipe to the existing flue or do I need to run a 3" liner through the entire system? I checked Englander's site, it seems like they don't specify a whole liner, but I've heard other places that you need one. Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Smudge88

Smudge88 Member

Loc:
    Cedar Knolls, N.J.
    The thimble in 3" should be good...if the chimney is tall you would have to increase to 4" after 12 or 15'..I forget...Give Englander a call...they're more than helpful
  3. DiggerJim

DiggerJim Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    If the effective length is over 15 feet you should use 4" pipe. The effective length is calculated by counting each Tee or 90 degree ell as 5 feet, each 45 degree as 3 feet and each vertical foot of piping as 1/2 a foot. Horizontal runs of pipe are counted 1 foot per foot of run.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.