Question about double wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I purchased some security temp. double wall stove pipe to connect to my NC 13 and my existing class A security temp pipe/ceiling box. The problem is that the double wall pipe fits loosely at the ceiling box and at the stove. The manufacturer is telling me that's normal and I need to use pipe cement at those areas. I thought the pipe should fit snugly without any side to side movement. Is the manufacturer correct here? The old snap lock pipe that was previously used fit tightly but the pipe to pipe connections were poor.

I would think there would be a stove top adapter and a ceiling box adapter for double wall. I'm not familiar with that brand though. I feel like if you have to use cement, then somethings a little off.

Yes, according to the docs there should be a chimney adapter and a trim collar to make the connection at the ceiling support box.

Attachments

• security.jpg
    security.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 402
OUR "double wall flue pipe" connects to an adapter on the ceiling, and is "telescopic" in style. I don't recall seeing a collar on top of the stove that it needed however. Seems to me it was attached to a lip on the top of the stove, if memory serves. I didn't notice any cement being used, only screws, and I haven't played with it, to see if it has any give or movement.

-Soupy1957

Don't bother with the Rutland stove cement. It just gets hard and falls off.

BeGreen said:
Yes, according to the docs there should be a chimney adapter and a trim collar to make the connection at the ceiling support box.

The trim collar is a decrative piece only. They only make an adaper for the stove end. If the adapter was used at the ceiling box there would be 1/4" side to side movement.

bsa0021 said:
BeGreen said:

The trim collar is a decorative piece only. They only make an adaptor for the stove end. If the adapter was used at the ceiling box there would be 1/4" side to side movement.
There also has to be a chimney adapter to transition from stovepipe to chimney.

webby3650 said:
bsa0021 said:
BeGreen said:

The trim collar is a decorative piece only. They only make an adaptor for the stove end. If the adapter was used at the ceiling box there would be 1/4" side to side movement.
There also has to be a chimney adapter to transition from stovepipe to chimney.

manufacturer says no.

Well, there has to be something there, the chimney is roughly 2" bigger than the stovepipe. This adapter could be built into the ceiling box. I have never heard of this chimney, did you install it?

I had a vermont casting defiant installed this fall with double wall stove pipe. Mine fits snug at the top and bottom and telescopes for easy cleaning. Mine is 8" because that what the older stove requires but I think I would be nervous and unhappy if it was loose considering what I paid to have the chimney install. I have 4 screws at center (top/bottom) of the tele to hold it in place and like the convenience. I am far from an expert but think you may have something wrong and would look into an adapter.

webby3650 said:
Well, there has to be something there, the chimney is roughly 2" bigger than the stovepipe. This adapter could be built into the ceiling box. I have never heard of this chimney, did you install it?
There is a pipe that is part of the ceiling box. The original chimney was installed by a stove shop for a different stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.