Question about draft starter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ephriam

Apr 5, 2009
Southern Rhode Island
My son is about to get his first stove. He's looking at Pacific Energy, Dutchwest, etc. steel stoves. They're all down draft stoves (I think) but being a caveman, still burning my 25 year old Energy Harvesters, I can't give him much advice about starting up one of those cold. He's going to put it into the basement with two right angle turns and maybe 28 feet of outside steel chimney, so it's for sure that he'll have to deal with a reverse draft on cold mornings. I've seen some talk on this site about using a heat gun to reverse the draft and that seems a good idea to me. I've also seen some stoves advertised with what sounds like a starter fan of some sort. Has anyone out there had any experience with such a beast? I'd sure appreciate any feedback.

On another tack I want to express my appreciation for the advice and links that you folks provided concerning my Energy Harvesters stove with the burned out smoke shelf. As a result I found a guy in PA who sold me a used one and my old wood hog is cooking again. Thanks! Fred

I have heard of the heat gun, but never the fan thing. I'd do a search on the warranty concerns re the dutchwest. There have been quite a few issues and your son should know about them when he makes his decision.

I use a bit of newspaper on days when the stove just doesn't want to draft at startup. I fill the stove, light it off and then reload and build a fire normally.

Matt

I think with that much of a straight run outside, he should be OK. Again every set up is different though. I've used a hair dryer and a propane torch to reverse the draft. Luckily, as long as all the windows in the house are shut, I usually don't have an issue. Are there any windows in the basement he can crack open that are close to the stove? Some of the guys here suggested I do that and it seems to really help when starting a fire in a cold stove.

I have about 28' out and up with a small 13nc in the basement first fire no smoke in the house next 3 smoke detectors going off. I find the fire starting gel from Walmart (like $8) works the best it is a non petroleum, renewable, burns smoke free and safe for wood stoves and pellet stoves. I put a very small amount (size of a dime) smear on some paper put over the baffle then a squirt on the kindlen. I used over a dozen time without a puff of smoke in the house.

Disclaimer------- Just because it works for me may not for you.:)

John

Install photos here https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42676/P22/

I had an old stove that came with the house, it was about 5 feet tall and 2 feet square. Never had a problem with draft. My ex-wife didn't like it, it wasn't pretty, so out it went and in went a brand new, pretty one. I had a heck of a time lighting it without the smoke alarms going off. But then I got a tip, from my mother of all people. (she doesn't have a stove and I never knew she knew anything about them) The solution was simple... I crumpled up a piece of paper and stuffed it up the pipe, then built my fire. I lit the paper in the pipe about 15 seconds before lighting the paper under the kindling. The paper burning in the pipe heated it up enough to reverse the draft. Simple, and it worked every time.

When my flue is cold I use rutland brand gelled alcohol that I buy at home depot or TSC for 9 bucks a bottle, lasts the whole season...burns fairly hot with no smoke, and can be left unattended while letting the draft build

Status
Not open for further replies.