Question about Drying Time for Furnace Cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Griz

I used some furnace cement to seal the gaps between the plates of my wood burning stove.
Some of the old cement had deteriorated.

This particular cement came in a small plastic tub and is like black sticky pudding.

How long should I allow it to dry?

The container says to allow a minimum of 4 hours.
However, after 4 hours, I find that the cement is still soft.
Need I wait until it the cement is hard before I fire up the stove?
The last time I used this cement it took about 24 hours for it to be hard (perhaps the relatively low temperature in the house -- due to the stove being on hold -- had something to do with the long drying time?)

Thanks,
Griz

Griz,

Right or wrong, I can only tell you what I did.
After the specified time (roughly), I lit my first break-in fire, at around 250 degrees. The next fire, 3 hrs later was 350, and the next 500. At 500 I heard sizzling, which turned out to be moisture boiling out of a thick spot in the cement. There have been no problems since, and I think some heat is needed to cure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.