Question about Equinox split lengths

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftyinthewoods

Nov 17, 2012
Minnesota
This is a fantastic forum, I've been devouring posts for a couple weeks now, and have found answers to almost everything I can think of. My wife and I have purchased some wooded acreage and will be building a house on it in the spring. In the meantime I'd like to start putting up some wood (mostly ash) for the Hearthstone Equinox we plan for the main level. I'm thinking that I have two options for split lengths: 24" for E-W loading, or a shorter length for N-S loading. Any advice from current Equinox owners? What is the practical maximum length for N-S loading?

We hope to burn 24/7 through the winter, loading 2 or 3 times per day, so getting the stove truly loaded up with wood seems like the objective. We live in central Minnesota. The house is 2 story plus an unfinished basement, about 2300 finished square feet. The stove will be along the long edge of a 950 sq ft main living area. The wood is mostly ash.

Thanks all,
-Stephen

Welcome.

Ash is fine firewood. Good on you for getting to work on it first.

What turns you on about the Equinox? Just askin.

We wanted a large firebox so the fire would stay lit overnight and while out for the day, were looking for tight clearances to the wall behind so we could run a straight stovepipe and chimney, high BTU potential for the coldest nights, and an attractive stove for the 7 months a year it sits cold. Looked at the Progress hybrid for a while, but the firebox is a good deal smaller and the cat requires maintenance and replacement. Also looked at the new Regency F5100, but the looks aren't to our liking. Same goes for the King Ultra.

-Stephen

While I don't have an Equinox, so take my comments with a giant grain of salt, I would cut a good chunk of that wood a hair below the max that the stove takes. It can be kinda tough squeezing them in there sometimes - usually the first layer or two is no issue (on a cold start builup) but as you get higher up into the firebox an inch or two of wiggle room can be very helpful.

I don't have an Equinox, (they are fairly rare) We are one stove down, with the Mansfield.

I would say you are good either way. With it's side loading door, the Eq is going to be easy to load. A good mix of split sizes is good for "packing".. Iy has been pretty much determined on here that if a side load door is available it is (almost) always the door used.

Maybe a better way to think of it is you will have two N/S options.. one long, one not as long..

On a side note.. not knowing where you are, or the age, and insulation value of your home.. Equinox *may* be to much stove for 2300 sqft. Our mansfield is in a bit of a hole, and heating 2100 sqft, keeping it warm enough in here for her, on two loads a day when it's good and cold out. Which here, is 20-30's day, teens at night.

On a side note.. not knowing where you are, or the age, and insulation value of your home.. Equinox *may* be to much stove for 2300 sqft. Our mansfield is in a bit of a hole, and heating 2100 sqft, keeping it warm enough in here for her, on two loads a day when it's good and cold out. Which here, is 20-30's day, teens at night.

We're in Minnesota, good and cold is negative single digits or lower overnight. On the other hand the house will be built to Energy Star standards...don't know what that means exactly but it sounds good for insulation levels.

P.S., very impressive work on your install, way beyond my capabilities.

-Stephen

We're in Minnesota, good and cold is negative single digits or lower overnight. On the other hand the house will be built to Energy Star standards...don't know what that means exactly but it sounds good for insulation levels.

P.S., very impressive work on your install, way beyond my capabilities.

-Stephen

Born in Hinckley... Just got off the phone with my brother, he says it's going to single digits tonight... that's why I didn't move back.

If brand new construction.. I think you may be to big with the Equinox.. The deal is, if the stove is to big for the space, people have a tendency to burn it to low/slow.. causes problems.

Oh, and thanks, it really wasn't that hard.. it was getting up the courage to start.. after that it was pretty easy.. lol

Born in Hinckley... Just got off the phone with my brother, he says it's going to single digits tonight... that's why I didn't move back.

If brand new construction.. I think you may be to big with the Equinox.. The deal is, if the stove is to big for the space, people have a tendency to burn it to low/slow.. causes problems.

Oh, and thanks, it really wasn't that hard.. it was getting up the courage to start.. after that it was pretty easy.. lol
I don't have the Equinox either. I have the Jotul Oslo which has both front and side loading. I've never used the front door! Side loading EW is so much easier.

The Oslo's max wood length is 22". Don't know what the Equinox spec is re. wood length ... but don't cut your wood to the max length. The Oslo calls for 22" - I processed a full logging truck load and cut everything at 21" plus or minus. Have never had a split that wouldn`t fit straight into the firebox...but had I cut to 22`` there would be the odd piece that is 22 and a half ìnches that might fit on the diagonal but would mess up your loading. It`s very frustrating!!

Status
Not open for further replies.