Question about excessive coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, I had to learn patience, let the coals burn down and resist the urge to reload yet.
I have also found less then dry wood will crate more coals here.
Otherwise, pull them all forward, and high in front of the air inlet and open the air lever, let em burn down.
Doing that right now.
Won't reload until the coals are burnt down further.

Reactions: jatoxico
Like others have said, need to be patient, rake them forward open up the air intake. They are great for afternoon burns... got three hours out of mine yesterday.

For me, I had to learn patience, let the coals burn down and resist the urge to reload yet.
I have also found less then dry wood will crate more coals here.
Otherwise, pull them all forward, and high in front of the air inlet and open the air lever, let em burn down.
Doing that right now.
Won't reload until the coals are burnt down further.
Same here. Since reading this thread I've been opening the doghouse wide open when the wood gets to the coal stage. Next thing you know I got some great blue flames dancin around in the stove and my stovetop temps stay hoter longer. I burn mostly elm and it seems to leave more coals than other wood I burn.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm trying the technique right now of opening the air back up when the secondaries slow down, and the wood is mostly coal. My wood is well seasoned and is running about 13-15% moisture, so I don't think that is a problem. I did get started late in the season last year as far as getting my wood cut, so I split the logs into smaller chunks that I like. Next year will be better as I'm cutting right now for the 2013-14 winter. SB
MAPP gas flame thrower in your avatar? Wow :)

Reactions: Sodbuster
I don't remember who it was on here. But someone said to bring em forward, open the air, and throw a coffee cup of wood pellets(the same kind pellet stoves use) on top of the coals. This throws some quick heat and burns em down quick. Sometimes it takes waiting for them to go out and do it again. Sometimes up to three times. This has worked great for me and I advise it to anyone. Helps in the cold weather to push the stove when the inside temp drops and you don't want to wait an hour to reload. Also, lately I have been putting them on the coals in the front on reloads and they help for quick start ups and quicker shutdowns.

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.