1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Question about excessive coals

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Sodbuster, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    For me, I had to learn patience, let the coals burn down and resist the urge to reload yet.
    I have also found less then dry wood will crate more coals here.
    Otherwise, pull them all forward, and high in front of the air inlet and open the air lever, let em burn down.
    Doing that right now.
    Won't reload until the coals are burnt down further.
    jatoxico likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hockeypuck

hockeypuck Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    south central NH
    Like others have said, need to be patient, rake them forward open up the air intake. They are great for afternoon burns... got three hours out of mine yesterday.
  3. Butcher

Butcher Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    Same here. Since reading this thread I've been opening the doghouse wide open when the wood gets to the coal stage. Next thing you know I got some great blue flames dancin around in the stove and my stovetop temps stay hoter longer. I burn mostly elm and it seems to leave more coals than other wood I burn.
  4. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    jatoxico likes this.
  5. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    MAPP gas flame thrower in your avatar? Wow :)
    Sodbuster likes this.
  6. michburner

michburner Member

Loc:
    the thumb
    I don't remember who it was on here. But someone said to bring em forward, open the air, and throw a coffee cup of wood pellets(the same kind pellet stoves use) on top of the coals. This throws some quick heat and burns em down quick. Sometimes it takes waiting for them to go out and do it again. Sometimes up to three times. This has worked great for me and I advise it to anyone. Helps in the cold weather to push the stove when the inside temp drops and you don't want to wait an hour to reload. Also, lately I have been putting them on the coals in the front on reloads and they help for quick start ups and quicker shutdowns.
    raybonz likes this.