Question About Flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnhiker70

Jan 5, 2011
RI
Im interested in burning wood. Was looking at a regency ci2600 insert for our living rm. with install we'd be looking at $3.5k. Cant afford that this year. I'm also not keen on having logs/mess in our living room.
we also have a masonry fireplace in our walk-out basement. Basement has a patio door going out to a concrete patio where we could pile the wood. Theres ductwork feeding the whole first floor nearby in the basement too. The problem is that the chimney flue from this fireplace is small. I was told it wouldn't 'draft' a fire in the fireplace. It exits the fireplace from top/side corner at an angle, rather than straight up the middle. The inside diameter of the rectangular terracotta flue is about 5x7. Is that big enough for something like an englander add in furnace? http://www.heatredefined.com/summers_heat/stove/summers-heat-3000-sq.-ft.-add-on-wood-furnace

Also, how much heat do you think we'd get out of a set up like this? I hate the hydro-air heating system in our house; it uses a minimum of $100/month of electricity for the blower alone, not to mention the tons of oil used to heat the water. Our house is approximately 2,800 sf envelope, 9' ceilings on first floor, a cathedral living rm, 2 story foyer with stairs going to 2nd flr. we live in MA. The house is newer, 2x4 construction. I just added insulation - now there's 12" of insulation in the attic.

Also want to be able to heat the house if we have a power outage.

TIA!!

Some pics of the flue would help. 5x7 is not a standard size. Are you able to get on the roof and measure it up there as there may be something different near the fireplace. You may need to drill a flue tackoff in the chimney above the fireplace and block off the fireplace if that is actually the case.

TS

I agree, 5x7 flue is not normal at all...check it up top.
Can you install a separate class A stainless chimney if the existing won't work?
I think the Englander would help heat your house but struggle to heat it by itself (lots of cubic feet) during the colder parts of winter. They usually overestimate the sq ft that a burner will actually heat...unless you live in the south

Status
Not open for further replies.