Question about Gas Splitters - 2way vs 4 way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevej8910

Oct 26, 2008
Southern VT
It is that time of year for me to rent a splitter from my local hardware store. I have always rented the 2 way splitter but am curious if there is a real advantage to renting the 4 way.

Will I be able to split more wood with the 4 way than with the 2 way?

Thanks

It depends on how you like to split your wood. I like splitting mine in blocks or slabs rather than in pie shaped pieces so I prefer what I have over the 4-way. If you just want to run some small or medium rounds through once, then a 4-way is the way to go.

On that size a 4-way will work nicely. But like CTwoodburner, I like to split a lot of the wood into square or rectangle pieces. It makes for easier stacking, especially on the end pieces and it also works out great in the firebox. But go with whatever you are comfortable with.

Steve, in the future, you might want to consider doing your splitting a bit sooner. If you plan on burning that wood this coming winter it would be much better if it had the whole spring, summer and fall for drying.

i have run into problems with 4 way splitters when trying to split tough notty wood, i tried it once on some gnarly pin oak and it wouldn't split it, i had to go back to the two way wedge. but if you have some easy splitting wood then the 4 way can be nice, but to me the 4 way wedge is more of a specialized tool, if i had to choose one i would always take the 2 way.

Backwoods Savage said:
On that size a 4-way will work nicely. But like CTwoodburner, I like to split a lot of the wood into square or rectangle pieces. It makes for easier stacking, especially on the end pieces and it also works out great in the firebox. But go with whatever you are comfortable with.

Steve, in the future, you might want to consider doing your splitting a bit sooner. If you plan on burning that wood this coming winter it would be much better if it had the whole spring, summer and fall for drying.

Yeah, I usually do split it earlier but I got sidetracked this year.

It sounds like I am going with the 2 way. I like splitting to the smaller pieces and with the large 20" rounds it sounds like I can split that to my preferred size easier.

Thanks

Smaller straight stuff goes through the 4way nicely. Gigger stuff is more trouble than its worth. IMHO.

Never used a four-way . . . and I have to admit the appeal of being able to split more faster is certainly there . . . but a lot of my wood is gnarly, twisted and knot-filled which I would guess would be problematic. In addition I often slab off the sides and make rectangular and square splits . . . helps for stacking with the ends . . . and it works well for me when filling up the firebox . . . and the two-way does a nice job of making these shapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.