Question about General moisture meter from Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdi_ywg

Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I've been researching moisture meters and it seems that many of you have and like a particular General moisture meter available from Lowes. I live in Canada and the only General meter they have, which is SKU 78059 is here:

http://www.lowes.ca/rulers-combinat...truments-digital-moisture-meter_g1452666.html

Strangely, the US Lowes site has a different looking meter with the same SKU:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_78059-56005...l=1&currentURL=?Ntt=moisture+meter&facetInfo=

Can anyone tell me if the one available in Canada is good, or if the meter pictured on the Canadian web site is the same as what is in store? I would go to Lowes to check it out myself but the nearest store is just over 550km away and my stove won't burn long enough for me to get there and back.

Thanks!
Scott

The Canadian one reads only in metric %?

:)

Ahh, of course. So to convert imperial to metric % I divide by 0.6, right? No, wait. I multiply by 9/5 and add 32. No, wait. I multiply by 2.204. Oh flurg.... I know! Divide by the square root of 1, then multiply that by (-1)^2.

Thanks!

I expect the meter behind the lowes.ca link will work fine for you without breaking the bank.

The main thing is to look at the wood before you split it open and stick a meter in what was the inside middle part. Keep that thing running for a year or so and you'll have a pretty good idea what it _would_ measure if you bothered to use the meter the following year.

Interesting, they are both have the same General model number but are obviously different meters. Unless Lowes just messed up the pictures.

The one in the picture of the Canadian one is a contact type. They have both in my local Lowes. I bought the other one with the prongs on it. The one shown on the Canadian site is probably fine if you want to measure subfloor moisture before installing ceramic tile but it won't read firewood.

As Oldman74 said. Two differnt animals!

Status
Not open for further replies.