Question About Harman Manual Igniter Position

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F4... I thought I read where in manual, the fan will not run below a #4 or 5 setting..
it will run on auto...
No experience with it personally..... yet..

Dan

Have to admit that I have close to zero experience in Stove mode but from what I remember the fan ran the same way in either Stove Auto or Manual. Above five it was on,

So apparently Stove / Auto is no different from Stove / Manual.
Stove Manual when set under about output 4 on my P61 shuts down the distribution blower. Auto does not, and auto allows full speed which I can use to get heat upstairs.

automatic stove fan always operates regardless of the temperature setting and manual fan stove run and stops

Reactions: F4jock
well, room works off the wire probe, stove off of the ESP probe in the exhaust...
in room/manual there is a chance of the dist blower shutting off IF the room probe picks up enough heat in that room which after a while enough heat could build up to do that.. stove/auto will NOT stop blowing regardless.. my 80 degree downstairs proved that to me today when I popped in today around 3..

Stove Manual when set under about output 4 on my P61 shuts down the distribution blower. My stove generate enough heat at five that I think it defaults to distribution blower on. At least that was the case with normal feed rate settings. Auto does not, and auto allows full speed which I can use to get heat upstairs.

as long as it's above #5...
Below that, no fan...
They call it fireplace mode..

Dan

edit:
I probly should not be responding... I have not confirmed this on my own stove.
Hell... I just put it in!)

well, room works off the wire probe, stove off of the ESP probe in the exhaust...
in room/manual there is a chance of the dist blower shutting off IF the room probe picks up enough heat in that room which after a while enough heat could build up to do that.. stove/auto will NOT stop blowing regardless..

Now I'm totally confused. When I'm in Room / Auto. which is my preferred mode, the fan varies as the temperature delta increases / decreases. At times it, and the stove, totally shut off. When I was in Room / Manual the fan either ran when set above 5 or was off when below 5.

down 5 Temp if the pan gets too hot the fan distribution run to cool the stove and then stopped

Reactions: bogieb
as long as it's above #5...
Below that, no fan...
They call it fireplace mode..

Dan

edit:
I probly should not be responding... I have not confirmed this on my own stove.
Hell... I just put it in!)
Pete, I think you are correct. Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind I remember the Fireplace Mode thing.

when we cut a hole in the wall here for the stove exhaust, [1917 house],
there was no insulation in the exterior wall..with all the windows I have there is almost less wall than glass so any insulation there even blow-in would not
make any signigcant difference... someone built this house when it was either using coal ot oil was 7 cents/gal.
No insulation you might just be better off in Stove Temp Mode Auto, full speed fan. It will take a little time to get your settings how you like them, but ya that constant output in your case might do the trick. We have moderate insulation here and at times Stove Temp works for us. Like a SW wind but cold out for instance.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
So sometimes my stoves act differently than others., but with the P43 (pre-thermostat) Stove / manual - the room fan would not come on at low dial settings like #1 with a feed rate of 1 (I think Harman calls that fireplace mode or some such thing). With Stove / auto, the room blower will stay at what I set it at (low, high, in between), even at the super low dial settings.

Now I'm totally confused. When I'm in Room / Auto. which is my preferred mode, the fan varies as the temperature delta increases / decreases. At times it, and the stove, totally shut off. When I was in Room / Manual the fan either ran when set above 5 or was off when below 5.
Yeah that's Room Temp, I mostly run there, in mid winter I run in Room Manual. But this house requires enough output the fan doesn't slow much in the cold weather. Stove is similar but different than Room Temp. All I can say is try it and prove it to yourself. I've been experimenting for 5 days now, having kind of a good time !!

Weeelllllll. . . . .

I guess I'm gonna have to make an Excel spreadsheet and start messing with different settings in all modes so I can nail this down. Sounds like a project for the depths of January / February.

down 5 Temp if the pan gets too hot the fan distribution run to cool the stove and then stopped
I think it has to do with if the ESP gets too hot, it runs the distribution fan to cool off the stove while keeping the feed rate where you set it. In room/auto, it seems to me as if the ESP is taken out of the equation entirely (except for proof of fire).

Yeah that's Room Temp, I mostly run there, in mid winter I run in Room Manual. But this house requires enough output the fan doesn't slow much in the cold weather. Stove is similar but different than Room Temp. All I can say is try it and prove it to yourself. I've been experimenting for 5 days now, having kind of a good time !!
One interesting thing I've noticed with the new Platinum board. The stove seems to reach temperature and shut down far more easily than it did with the old one. Even with the temperature at 22 degrees this morning the stove was satisfied.

sorry, I thought you wanted to know difference between room and auto but I see it's STOVE auto and Stove manual. btw: your stove is running normal at those different modes you described.
Stove Manual is when you want an Ambiance setting but No Heat!!! big flame depending on feed # but distribution blower does NOT come on.. called Fireplace Mode in the Manual.
Must put it Past #5 for the dist blower to come on... most never use that mode in conjuction with actual heat dispursement. a few may but that will just throw another mode in and confuse the heck out of all of us. yikes!!!.. 3 better modes to choose.
Heating is room/auto/manual or Stove Auto..
sounds to me that your content with room/auto.

To the best of my memory the ESP is never totally out of the mix as I believe it controls max exhaust temp.

So sometimes my stoves act differently than others., but with the P43 (pre-thermostat) Stove / manual - the room fan would not come on at low dial settings like #1 with a feed rate of 1 (I think Harman calls that fireplace mode or some such thing). With Stove / auto, the room blower will stay at what I set it at (low, high, in between), even at the super low dial settings.
That would be about correct Bo. On my P61, an output setting of 4 or below in Stove manual shuts off the room blower. I don't think the feed rate matters. it's supposed to be under 5 but I think my stove is outputting too much for that to happen with reliability and the fan come on here and there to cool it down. But that too was at normal feed rates of 3-1/2-4. I haven't tried that on lower feed rates.

To the best of my memory the ESP is never totally out of the mix as I believe it controls max exhaust temp.
Correct.

Right now I'm shutting down, the stove is almost off. i won't have sufficient pellets to conclude my testing till Wed.

Bobleg is what I wanted to say you're right

Status
Not open for further replies.